Friday, June 8, 2012

WHAT PLEASES YOU?





 Michael Brooks shares with us, “I was speaking recently with a Colonel in the Air Force, who told me: ‘In the military (as in life), you have to be careful of what you say (not just what you ask).’

He related an off-handed comment he once made during a staff meeting about a tree outside his office that was blocking his view.

The next day the tree was gone. He lost the benefit of the tree's shade in the late afternoon, because he gave the wrong signal to his staff.

This got me to thinking about a number of experiences I have had where I got something that was not necessarily what I wanted, but rather what someone thought would please me.

Birthdays are a great illustration of this concept. I rarely offer gift ideas because I like to see my children's impressions of me, as expressed through their gifts.

Many times I am completely surprised by what they think I like, or rather their personal interpretation of my passion or interest.

My point is we usually get less of what we say we want and more of what people observe or see us doing.

A friend of mine once said to me, related to child rearing, ‘You have to be careful of what you do because whether you think it or not, your kids are always watching and taking notes.’ 



 
This really left an impression on me. What movies have my children seen me watch? How does Amanda see me talk to her mother or resolve a dispute?

Am I a role model for her, helping to shape in her mind what men are like?

Questions to Ponder:

So what pleases you? If you asked your wife, son, daughter, best friend, mother or father, what would they say pleases you most?

We are defined by what we like. What do you like? What do those closest to you see you doing?

Are you in any way like King Herod, doing something to please others?

What does God want to be of first importance in your life? Does anything need to change as you seek to put Him first in your life?”

“When he saw that this pleased the Jews, he proceeded to seize Peter also. This happened during the Feast of Unleavened Bread.” Acts 12:3

The Pocket Testament League   www.ptl.org

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” Ps. 3:5, 6, NKJV

Tonight’s post: YOUR STORY INDWELLS GOD'S

Today's Truth: if you are "born again", you are a child of God Romans 8:16

Tomorrow’s post:
SERVICE WITH A SMILE



No comments:

Post a Comment