Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dumb Goose!




Wendy Dunham: "He was a dumb goose…a very dumb goose. There he stood at the edge of an expressway, waiting to cross. 

Didn’t he realize the maker of heaven and earth created him with the ability to fly? 

As I drove past, I wanted to yell out my window, “Hey. Did you forget you can fly? Rise above this situation. If you don’t take a chance – you’ll never make it.” 

But considering the surrounding traffic, I wasn’t willing to take a chance on being called a lunatic, as someone yelled out their window to me.

When I first spotted the goose, I thought, what a smart goose. A very smart goose. He was waiting patiently, looking back and forth at the oncoming traffic. It was obvious he was waiting to cross, but he would need to waddle across at lightning speed and I knew chances for him were slim. 

As I continued to ponder, I realized what a dumb goose he actually was. He had the ability to fly. He could rise above the situation. Yet there he stood with his big webbed feet planted firmly on the ground.

I realized how similar I was to that dumb goose. Many times my spiritual feet remain planted firmly on the ground, while trying to dodge my earthly dilemmas. I often forget that God has given me, his child, the ability to rise above my struggles by trusting Him.

God longs for his children to soar above the earthly cares of this world and rely on Him. He longs for our trust. There’s no need to struggle like we do or be anxious. 

God offers a better way. As the psalmist writes: God is our refuge and strength. He is our help in times of trouble. And while we’re here on earth, we all have troubles. No one is exempt.

God has shown me time and time again I need to rise above my situations and trust him. I’m still learning.

Is God your refuge in times of trouble? Rely on his strength to rise above. Strive to be a smart goose and with graceful body form, soar through life with wings spread wide — eyes focused on Him, our true north.

When you face difficulties, graciously descend at the feet of our heavenly Father; after all, He is our very present help in times of trouble. He is our refuge."

"God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalms 46:1

Dumb Goose - Wendy Dunham

Wendy Dunham works full-time as a registered therapist for children and part-time with the elderly. She enjoys writing for both children and adults. She has written for Focus on the Family Club House Jr. Magazine and their website, Guideposts periodicals such as Shine Brightly, Touch, DevoZine, and books such as God Allows U-Turns, The Choices Teens Make, Chicken Soup for the Christian Soul 2, Stories for a Teen’s Heart, Book 3, as well as others. These books feature her short stories, devotionals, poetry, and interactive games. Wendy has two children and four goofy cats. She enjoys kayaking and biking with friends."

Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

Today’s 27th truth: If you are “born again”, you are more than a conqueror. (Romans 8:37)
Tomorrow's post:  Laying Hold of the Victory: Prayer Note # 54





No comments:

Post a Comment