Monday, September 10, 2012

How We Encourage Others When Faced With Our Own Adversity




Michael Brooks shares with us, "At church recently a man and his wife approached me following the service and asked, 'Are you Michael Brooks?"

"He proceeded to tell me that he was in the same business, knew many of my present and former employees, and all of them thought highly of the company and me.

He told me that even though he only knew me by reputation, he and his wife prayed for me regularly. 

He looked at me with deep, pain filled eyes and asked, 'Are you okay? 


The mortgage crisis is deepening and so many companies have gone out of business, is your company going to survive?' 


I thanked him for his thoughts and prayers and told him that God had already blessed me richly with a wonderful career and business, and regardless of the outcome I would continue to trust God.


As I said that, I realized I was finally at peace. I had accepted the ultimate outcome over my business no matter how it turned out, and I truly was 'okay.'

 (If the mortgage business didn't work out, then God would have a new adventure waiting for me.)


We talked for a few more minutes and when he walked away, I wondered if he felt encouraged by my attitude. I knew he faced different although similar problems and I hoped my faithfulness and joy had inspired him.

"After Paul and Silas came out of the prison, they went to Lydia's house, where they met with the brothers and encouraged them. Then they left." Acts 16:40

In our passage today, Paul and Silas had just come out of a very difficult circumstance (much more so than mine) one in which they were hurt physically yet their spirits had remained strong.

 Still, they did not seek encouragement from the brothers, rather they offered it. 


Don't you find that so insightful? Rather than needing encouragement to continue their mission work they had now become the encouragers.


Too often when someone comes out of difficulty (or is in the middle of one) they need and seek desperately the encouragement of others. Why?

 I believe it's because during the trials they did not rely fully on the Lord for their strength, but instead learned to depend on the emotional support of others.


Questions to Ponder:

Where do you find your encouragement, in the words of other people or in the Lord?

 In a crisis, do you by prayer and study continue to deepen your relationship with and to the Lord? 


Do you seek to be encouraged or is your faithfulness in all circumstances an encouragement to others? 


When was the last time you faced a significant challenge? Was God pleased with your faithfulness? What about right now? 


Are you an encouragement to others?"


Pocket Devotions  www.ptl.org

Tomorrow’s post: Information vs. Revelation: Prayer Note #71  Dutch Sheets


Today’s treasure truth #11: If you are “born again”, you are led by the Spirit of God. (Rom. 8:14)

Our thought for today: With your own mouth, speak the victory! Don't allow anything to keep you from God's call on your life.







No comments:

Post a Comment