Friday, October 12, 2012

The Spiritual Saint



OSWALD CHAMBERS tells us, "You no more need a holiday from spiritual concentration than your heart needs a holiday from beating."

            “The initiative of the saint is not towards self-realization, but towards knowing Jesus Christ.

The spiritual saint never believes circumstances to be haphazard, or thinks of his life as secular and sacred; he sees everything he is dumped down in as the means of securing the knowledge of Jesus Christ.

There is a reckless abandonment about him. The Holy Spirit is determined that we shall realize Jesus Christ in every domain of life, and He will bring us back to that same point again and again until we do.

            Self-realization leads to the enthronement of work. Whether it be eating or drinking or washing disciples’ feet, whatever it is, we have to take the initiative of realizing Jesus Christ in it.

Every phase of our actual life has its counterpart in the life of Jesus. Our Lord realized His relationship to the Father even in the most menial work. “Jesus knowing…that He was come from God, and went to God…took a towel…and 
began to wash the disciples’ feet.”

The aim of the spiritual saint is “that I may know Him.” Do I know Him where I am to-day? If not, I am failing Him. I am here not to realize myself, but to know Jesus.

In Christian work the initiative is too often the realization that something has to be done and I must do it. That is never the attitude of the spiritual saint; his aim is to secure the realization of Jesus Christ in every set of circumstances he is in.”
(pg 398)

            “Are there some things in connection with your bodily life, your intellectual life, upon which you are not concentrating at all? You are all right in the main but you are slipshod; there is a relapse on the line of concentration. You no more need a holiday from spiritual concentration than your heart needs a holiday from beating.

You cannot have a moral holiday and remain moral, nor can you have a spiritual holiday and remain spiritual. God wants you to be entirely His, and this means that you have to watch to keep yourself fit. It takes a tremendous amount of time. Some of us expect to ‘clear the numberless ascensions’ in about two minutes.” (pg 218)

            “Never let the limitation of natural ability come. If we have received the Holy Spirit, God expects the work of the Holy Spirit to be manifested in us. Never forget that our capacity in spiritual matters is measured by the promises of God. Is God able to fulfill His promises? Our answer depends on whether we have received the Holy Spirit.” (pg. 228)


Taken from Devotions for MORNING and EVENING with OSWALD CHAMBERS.

"My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah."  Ps. 62:5-8

“That I may know Him.”  Phil. 3:10
Today’s treasure truth #3: If you are “born again”, you are forgiven. Col, 1: 13, 14

Our thought for today:  We are told to "walk out" our salvation, once we're saved by Jesus' Atonement on the Cross.

Tomorrow morning’s post: What Does God Say?  Pocket Devotions

Tomorrow evening's post: Still in God's Hands  Penny Hunt
 




















No comments:

Post a Comment