Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Mysterious Ways: Flight Plan

 
Debra Davis: Flight delays cause a mother to worry she'll miss her son's homecoming from his tour in Baghdad.            
 
"The woman at the airline ticket counter in Munich, Germany, just shook her head. 'I'm sorry, but there's no more availability on this flight,' she said.

Great, I thought. My husband, Bob, and I had enjoyed every moment of our dream vacation, two weeks in Europe, but I was ready to go home to Shreveport, Louisiana, and sleep in my own bed.
 
Bob could see how frustrated I was. 'We'll just have to try to get on the flight tomorrow,' he said. 'Let's enjoy the extra day.'
 
Bob's right, I thought. There were more important things to be worried about—my son Joe, a First Lieutenant in the Army 82nd Airborne Division, would be returning to Ft. Bragg in North Carolina for a short R&R from his tour of duty in Baghdad, and we weren't sure we'd be able to see him in the little time he'd be stateside.

Plus, the time was so up in the air! Back at our hotel, I checked my email to see if our daughter-in-law Monica had any news on when Joe was due to arrive. Sure enough, there was a message. 'Joe's been delayed again,' it read, with one of those little frowny faces.
 
The next morning we made it onto our flight back to the States. Unfortunately, we had to stop in Atlanta. Our connecting flight there was delayed because of bad weather. The hours passed. I felt the frustration building. 'That's it! I finally said. 'I just want to get home already!'

That's when I saw a group of soldiers coming down the ramp from one of the gates. I thought of Joe. They're coming back from a war, I reminded myself. I'm coming back from vacation. What right do I have to be frustrated? Maybe the troops were God's way of reminding me to trust in his time. Bob grabbed my arm. 'Look at those soldiers coming down the ramp.'

'I see them,' I said. Bob persisted. 'Do you see who's in front?' Suddenly, all those delays across all those miles made perfect sense. I rushed toward my son Joe's open arms."

By Debra Davis, Shreveport, Louisiana


His Mysterious Ways
His Mysterious Ways
Ever have a moment that left you speechless? An inexplicable experience that sent chills down your spine? Guideposts has compiled more than 10 years of real-life moments of God's Touch into one volume called His Mysterious Ways: More Than Coincidence. Order Now


"Can I, in my circumstances, "trust in the LORD?" Ps. 131:3  Can I wait in faith and patience without fretting and without questioning God's wisdom? Can I trust Him while He works in me His good, acceptable, and perfect will?David Roper
 

It may not be for me to see
The meaning and the mystery
God has planned for me
Till "afterward"! Anon.
 
In a world of mystery, it's a comfort to know
the God who knows all things." 
 
Our Daily Bread
10/28/11
 
 
  God's Blessings
As we gather round the table
We bow our heads in prayer
To thank You, God, for loving us
And for Your constant care.
We thank You for our blessings,
Our friends and families.
We thank You for Your guidance
And for Your perfect peace.
 
Your awesomeness surrounds us
In everything we do.
How blessed we are to have a God
As wonderful as You.
© Frances Gregory Pasch

Used with permission
 
Today’s treasure truth #2: If you are “born again”, you are redeemed from the hand of the Enemy. Ps. 107:2
Our thought for today: If you give in to fear, it will rob you of all the good things in front of you.

Tomorrow’s post: The Measurable Power: Prayer Note #92  Dutch Sheets
 
Samples of Jean's crafts 
Crafts order blank link 
So You Plan to Marry a Man  A devotional book for women contemplating marriage and looking for godly advice.
http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout  my home page

 


No comments:

Post a Comment