Sunday, January 6, 2013

Spiritually Deaf



Faith Zao shares with us a frustrating conversation with her mom: “Huh?” "If Mom uses that word once, she uses it a hundred times a day.

She is hard of hearing, but doesn’t wear a hearing aid.

I feel for her, but some days I want to scream when I have to repeat myself for the umpteenth time.

In frustration, I recently fled to my porch, fearful I’d hurt her feelings if I didn’t walk away. I used the time to pray. 'Lord, help me. I get so tired of repeating myself.'

God answered. Yes. I know the feeling.

Talk about a two-by-four upside my head!

He continued. Don’t you think I get tired of repeating myself to you? How many times do I have to tell you something before you finally listen? The thing is, your problem can’t be fixed with a hearing aid.

God was right. While my mom may have a physical defect that makes her hard of hearing, I have a heart defect that renders me spiritually deaf at times. 

Most days I open God’s Word and whisper, 'Lord, speak to me.' Then I close my heart to Him when He says something I don’t want to hear.

God’s word is filled with commands I don’t want to obey. The Sermon on the Mount alone is replete with directives directly from Jesus’ lips—“Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 

If someone strikes you on the cheek, turn to him the other also.”

'Are you kidding me, Lord? You want me to do what?'

And He answers, You heard me.

Am I alone in this affliction of spiritual deafness, or do you share my handicap?

We have two choices. We can either hear His voice and harden our hearts, or take to heart what is written in His word. It’s entirely up to us.

God spoke the following words eight times in Revelation: He who has an ear, let him hear. I hear You, Lord.

Will you listen too?"

"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Romans 2:13

Spiritually Deaf – Faith Zao

Faith Zao is a freelance writer who shares a home in Alabama with her husband and a temperamental feline.

Having faced many hardships in life, she views her struggles as opportunities to minister, especially in the areas of infertility, death, divorce, and remarriage.

As a Christian writer and speaker, she uses her experiences to offer hope and effect change in the lives of her audience.

Faith has received non-fiction awards from the Southern Christian Writer’s Conference, and she is a member of the American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) and the Sonshine Writers based in Hueytown, Alabama.

Read Faith’s devotions.

Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!




Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us


[Father, may we hear Your voice and not harden our hearts, but take to heart what is written in Your word.]
Today's quote:

"Day by day and with each passing moment,

Strength I find to meet my trials here.

Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,

I've no cause for worry or for fear. - Berg


When things look bad, remember God is good."

Our Daily Bread
12/28/12


Our thought for today:  Do you want what Jesus offers? Do you want Him to change you?

Tomorrow’s post:  Can You Here me Now? Mary Southerland


A popular post: Check List of Flaws and Assets [If you dwell on your faults, consider this post as encouragement as to the opposites, to allow it to become true of you]

So You Plan to Marry a Man

A 31-day devotional book for women
contemplating marriage and
looking for godly advice.


Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse Kindle $3 
(My new title and cover)

jowildflowers@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment