Monday, July 29, 2013

Close Enough to Hear



Cameron Lawrence shares with us, "I never claim to comprehend the interior life of small childrenhow it is that they do or do not commune with God.

But at least outwardly, praying is a new thing for my two-year-old.

Apart from her mom and dad's requests for protection, mercy, the presence of the Holy Spirit within her young heart, so far her experience with the mystical encounter we call 'talking with God' revolves around saying (and at times intermittently singing) thank you at bedtime.

Thank you for toys, and friends coming over to play; for the carousel at the Zoo; for strawberries in the garden, baby sisters, and panda bears.

Not long ago, we were sitting in the dark, with a sliver of late sun visible beneath the door of her room.

We had just finishing praying when my wife asked if she wanted to do the same.

'I want to' said a little voice from the pillow.

We sat in silence for a moment, waiting for her to begin.

It had been a long day, with an abundance of work on my mind and chores that needed completing.

And though I typically appreciate our nightly ritual of singing and praying in the quiet room, I confess that on this particular evening, I was ready to get on with the night.

'Go ahead and say whatever you want, darling,' my wife said, with a gentleness that chastened me. 'God can always hear you.'

We waited a while longer. When she finally spoke, I was struck by the urgency in her voicesomething I hadn't previously heard with regard to prayer.

'I want God to hear me,' she said, intoning that she wanted to be reassured He would.

'He will, my love' her mom said. 'Go ahead.'

My daughter started to talk, but I couldn't stop thinking about those words: I want God to hear me. The phrase cut through the calloused outer layers and went straight to my heart.

I felt the pull of her pure, child-like faith calling out to my one longinga longing often caught in the shadowy corners, weak in the face of doubt. 

I, too, wanted God to hear me.

As parents, we hope our children will one day find faith for themselves, and that it will carry them through the unkind days—that it would hold them for the duration of their sojourn through this life.

We pray this, often because it's what we desire for ourselves but know how difficult it is to sustain.

As we kiss our kids goodnight, we look at them, wondering if they'll be okay, and the fear that they possibly won't cuts right to the most elemental doubts: 

Do we believe? Do we believe that God is who He says He is? Do we believe that God will hear us?

At times, we all find ourselves caught within these moments of doubt. 

But they need not signal for us an end of belief, but rather a new beginning where, in the darkness, all illusions vanish and what's left is the reality Godperhaps not as we have wished Him to be, but as He really is.

When such moments come, one thing is required of us: honesty. We can begin by saying, I want You to hear me, and like my little girl, by offering our gratitude.

Until one day, on a brightly lit morning, He pushes the door wide open, and we see Him as He is knowing beyond any doubt that He has been standing close enough to hear us all along."

Taken from Charles Stanley's magazine, In Touch  August 2013,  pgs. 61,62

[Google images added]

We fellow authors are promoting one another's publications, so here's today's announcement:

                Free on Kindle on Monday, 29th: 

 When You Come Home  by Nancy Pitts 
http://www.amazon.com/When-You-Come-Home-ebook/dp/B005R41792/

About the book: 
"Daphne Cavin's poignant story of love, loss and sacrifice was one of the most memorable I encountered in writing The Greatest Generation. Her daughter now completes the story with this very heartfelt book."
- Tom Brokaw

Tomorrow, the 30th, my book, "Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse", is to be FREE on Kindle!

Let’s pray: Father, we understand that You are always so close, that we only have to whisper You name for help, when needed. May we become more conscious  of Your Presence at all times, no matter where we are. We pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Today’s Bible verse: Jer. 31:3b "Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee."

Today’s quotes: 
Joel Barnaby – “Have you ever felt the presence of the Lord? Mostly indescribable to capture in mere words. It’s an exhilarating thrill that seems to saturate every fiber of your essence in both the physical and spiritual parts of you. Your mind is instantly illuminated, your inner core seems to sync with your spirit. Healing often occurs instantaneously in a confused mind, a tormented spirit, or a troubled heart.”

Marietta Taylor – “Don't try to follow your own plan for dealing with life's storms and disasters. Count on God instead. Believe He's with you. Lean on Him for strength and protection. Trust Him and you will not be shaken.

Our thought today: Are you a candidate for God to help you? If you'll partner with Him in His will, you'll begin to really live!

Tomorrow’s post:  #13 The Vital Few  C. Peter Wagner

A popular post:  
Hearing God's Love Song God pursued her even while skiing.






Samples of Jean's crafts & craft blanks
http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938499999/ Link to Granny’s Guide to Marriage in Verse my book with new title and cover for women contemplating marriage.





http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP77URG/ Kindle addition


No comments:

Post a Comment