Tuesday, December 31, 2013

#49 Tarrying One Hour

C. Peter Wagner shares more with us from his book, PRAYER SHIELD, telling us, "I was rolling along at about 22 minutes of prayer a day when I started researching prayer in 1987.

One of the early books I read was Larry Lea's Could You Not Tarry One Hour? (Creation House).


In it he makes such a persuasive case for praying one hour a day, I resolved I would set that as my goal.

Now, 3 or 4 years later, I can say I have left the 22 minutes behind; I am peaking more than 30 minutes most days and often more than 40.

But one hour? It is still a life goal, and I may make it some day. One hour is a long time for prayer!

I will never forget the first time I ever prayed for one hour. 

This was back in the 1970s when I was in my prayerless period.

I had been going to Korea from time to time to research church growth, and had become personal friends with Paul Yonggi Cho,

pastor of the Yoido Full Gospel Church, the world's largest congregation.

On one visit, Cho offered to take me to the famous Yoido Church Prayer Mountain.

Because I had never visited the prayer mountain, I jumped at the chance, looking forward to a personal tour.

When we arrived, I was wondering how the tour would begin.

But Cho, of all things, said, 'Now, let's pray!'

Pray? I preferred walking around and taking pictures of Prayer Mountain, but naturally I did not express my surprise.


Then he said, 'We don't have very much time. Let's pray his afternoon only for one hour!'

I wanted to be a good sport,  so I sat there on the floor of the huge chapel (Korean style) and started to pray.

I prayed a long time. Then I looked at my watch. I thought my watch had stopped! That was one of the longest hours I can remember spending. Time went faster when my wife was in labor!

But Larry Lea seemed to know I needed special help to extend my prayer time. He makes a suggestion (which I have since discovered has a long history in Christian tradition) of structuring our personal prayer times around the lord's Prayer.

This works well for me, for when you pray the Lord's Prayer, instead of simply saying the Lord's Prayer, you have a ready -made structure to cover everything you possibly need to pray about at one time.

So much for my mediocre personal prayer habits.

I am trying, and I know God will help me get better. But meanwhile, I still affirm that I have a first class prayer life because I add to my personal prayer the prayer of my intercessors.

I actually believe that the prayers of my intercessors are a real and vital part of my personal prayer life."


Today’s post -#49  Tarrying One Hour, in the series taken from C. Peter Wagner’s book, PRAYER SHIELD, How to intercede for pastors, Christian leaders and others on the spiritual frontlines.(pgs. 98-100) By Regal Books



Let’s pray:

   Father, when we realize the importance of our praying longer periods of time, we ask now for guidance to follow through with it.

   May we come to You as a little child would, and have faith in Your ability to help us, and to answer our requests in Your wisdom, way, and timing.

   It is to Your honor and glory, that we ask this today, for we are concerned that our prayer times are sufficient for what You desire to accomplish in and through us. 

In the Name of Jesus, we pray. Amen

Today’s Bible verse: Prov. 14:8a "The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way."

Today’s quote: Bill Crowder – “The enormous complexities of our bodies reflect the genius and wisdom of our great Creator. The wonder of His design is more than breathtaking – it gives us countless reasons to worship Him!”

Some thoughts today: Since we've received the Holy Spirit, we're to walk out our salvation, knowing who we are in Christ Jesus. Let Him teach you how to be successful.

- Be careful what you choose to do, as it will tend to "make you something" in other's eyes (good or bad). Your life will have an effect on your local Body of Christ.

- Don't grieve the Holy Spirit. Be kind, forgiving, tenderhearted, and one who doesn't allow the day to pass before resolving any anger in your heart.

2nd- Thursday’s post:  #50  Discovering Intercession  Peter Wagner

4th-  Saturday's post:  Big Plans/Can God Direct This?  Christi M. Estes

5th-  Sunday's post:  There's Power in His Name  Dave Hathaway

7th- Tuesday's post:  #51  Personal Intercession is Biblical  C. Peter Wagner

A popular post:  Revelation in World Missions  K. P. Yohannan shares with us: "The front-line work of missions in Asia has been taken over almost completely by indigenous missionaries."


Winter wonder land.
   

AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!

Kindle $1.95


My book in paperback




No comments:

Post a Comment