Thursday, January 16, 2014

#54 Rugged Individualism


C. Peter Wagner gives us his #2 reason why so many ministers don't utilize personal prayer intercessors.

"Cultural anthropologists continually remind us Americans that we are some of the most individualistic people in the world.

We are one of the few cultures in the world, for example, where young people leave home, select a mate, and then inform their parents.

It would be fully expected that the notion, 'If I'm going to get anywhere in life, I'm going to have to pull myself up by my own bootstraps,' would also carry over into our spiritual lives.

This is known to be true, and to one degree or another we all participate in it.

The good news is that our individualism encourages us to accept personal responsibility for a given task. 

The bad news is that we tend to ignore or despise other members of the Body of Christ whom we desperately need.

We hate to admit that we need help or that our performance is dependent on other brothers and sisters in Christ.

Do it Yourself Spirituality. Evangelist Swaggart wrote an article for his magazine, The Evangelist, 'The Lord of Breaking Through.'

  'I have always taken pride in my spiritual strength. I have believed that in my relationship with God, if He promised me something, I could have it. I can't recall, in all of my life, ever going to anybody and asking them for help.

  We are discussing personal weaknesses. Frances said to me one day, 'The reason you have such difficulty in such and such an area is because of pride.

  That brought me up with a start. I hadn't thought about it, but I had to admit she was right.'

Behind this was rugged individualism that did not feel a need for anyone's help. Swaggart was evidently beginning to admit his shortcomings when the scandal broke. He goes on TV to say:

  'I think this is the reason (in my limited knowledge) that I did not find the victory I sought because I did not seek the help of my brothers and my sisters in the Lord...If I had sought the help of those that loved me, with their added strength, I look back now and know that the victory would have been mine.'

I could not agree more. I see personal intercession as a vital activator of the immune system of the Body of Christ.

Releasing God's power through intercession will go a long way toward preventing the enemy from bringing us down."
   
Today’s post -#54  Rugged Individualism, in the series taken from C. Peter Wagner’s book, PRAYER SHIELD, How to intercede for pastors, Christian leaders and others on the spiritual frontlines.  (pgs. 107-110)

Let’s pray:

   Father, we see now that personal intercession is  a vital part of the Christian's survival.

   We are in need of Your urging us to pray for those who are in authority over our church bodies.

   May we continue to learn more of what a Body of Christ is supposed to do!   In Jesus' Name we pray. Amen

Let’s pray for our pastors: Worship- “Draw my pastor into deeper worship of You. Give my pastor a vision of heaven, and keep him/he traditions that hold the form of godliness but deny its power.” Is. 6; Rev. 4;  2 Tim. 3:5  Terry Teykl  - Scripture-Based Prayers

Today’s Bible verse: 2 Tim. 3:5 "Having the form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

Today’s quote: Cathy Baker - “Reflect on the wondrous gift of time. Pull out a calendar or day planner and spend fifteen minutes considering all that's on your schedule for the upcoming two weeks. Consider marking which activities fill up your time versus those that fill you with life and provide opportunities to awaken to the wonder of God all around. Prayerfully consider what changes—including cuts and additions you need to make to your schedule—to awaken yourself to the wonder of rest and a healthy rhythm in your daily life.”

Some thoughts today: The most feared thing is death. It misses no one. Death is an enemy. Jesus punched a hole in death! When death sinks its teeth in us, it's not final. We have the same resurrection as Jesus!

- We connect with each other because of our weaknesses and painful experiences. Christ's humanity connects us with Him! We're not to hide the brokenness, as Christ brings healing.


18th- Saturday’s post:  God Stands in the Gap  Ellen Romig

19th- Sunday's post:  Hope for Skeptics  Randy Kilgore

    Sunday's evening's post:  Sexual Immorality  Tammie Johnson 

21st Tuesday's post:  #55  Fear  C. Peter Wagner


A popular post: The Hidden Door of Temptation  Dave Branon tells us, "The temptation to go behind the hidden door of secrecy in our lives and do things that dishonor the Lord haunts us all."
 
God bless those who teach His Word!



AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!


Kindle $1.95

My book in paperback


No comments:

Post a Comment