Thursday, February 20, 2014

#64 The Gift of Intercession

C. Peter Wagner continues telling us about intercession, with today's message on The Gift of Intercession:

"Not all of our intercessors have the gift of intercession, although I think God has chosen to allow us the privilege of a rather high percentage of those with the gift for reasons I will mention later.

Of our 18 1-2 intercessors, [he then lists them], 10 have been recognized as having a gift of intercession.

Doris and I consider the eight who do not have the gift of intercession as essential and precious to ourselves and our ministry as those who do.

Some who do not have the gift are actually more committed to supporting us day in and day out than some who do.


The center and guards are no less important on a football team than the running backs and the ends. It takes the whole group as a team to win.

Because this kind of language is relatively new to our Christian community in general, the process of absorbing its implications takes time.

Pam Marhad is a key member of our team. But she had to work through her role as an 1-2 intercessor as one who does not have a spiritual gift of intercession.

She wrote about her experience in Body Life, our Sunday School class monthly newsletter. 

She said, "More often than not, when I decide I will pray for certain people or situations, a feeling of frustration and 'what's the use?' overcomes my good intentions and defeats me."

As she prayed about it, Pam felt the Lord took her to the parable of the talents in Matthew 25.

There it is clear that God is the one who decides who gets what talents and how many. 

[Check out my post of Peter's message on this subject: #15  God Selects the Gifts]. 

When she saw that, she confessed, "I've been guilty of looking around and saying in my heart, 'Lord, I'm just a one-talent prayer.' Others You have made five-talent pray-ers let them pray. My prayers probably don't matter."   

Then Pam rightly concludes that all God expects of her is to use the resources He has given her, nothing more, nothing less. 

"As I'm faithful and obedient to use what He's given,' Pam says, 'then He's free to give me more if He chooses. If I don't value His gifts to me and neglect them because they don't measure up to what I see others doing, then I very effectively tie the Lord's hands in my life and find myself on the outside looking in with envy and resentment."

It could not be said better.

As I write this (possible because I am writing this book), a note just received from Bobbye Byerly says, 'Peter, you are coming up No. 1 in my prayer discharge right now. It's nothing I've done or failed to do. Nothing you've done. I would guess that God is orchestrating a new realm of prayer support for you at this time."

#64  The Gift of Intercession, in the 
series taken from C. Peter Wagner’s 
book, PRAYER SHIELDHow to 
intercede for pastors, Christian leaders 
and others on the spiritual frontlines.
(pgs. 127-129)  by Regal Books


Let’s pray:

   Father, when we understand that our prayers are important to You, and to those we're praying for, help us be faithful to pray.

   I know that You've given me gifts, and I claim them now, asking that You'll help me recognize what they are, and how You want me to walk in them.

   My desire is to please You, and to be effective in what You've called me to be active in, and not compare my gifts with others around me.

   I ask these things in Jesus' Name. Amen.

Today’s Bible verse: Deu. 4:7 "For what nation is there so great, who hath God so nigh unto them, as the LORD our God is in all things that we call upon him for?

Today’s quote: Joel T. Barnaby "The church is full of men who have been well-nursed in the bosom of the Church, but never fathered by the ministry of a "Paul" type figure. Many leaders in the Church have enjoyed the process of spiritual conception; few have ever taken the responsibility of being a true father. We need more Father's in the Church who will "travail until Christ be formed" by covenant relationships."

Some thoughts today: You may think you're too old, but there are dreams and visions yet. Go after them, and ask the Father to supply what you'll need to see them come to reality. As God waits on us, do something! You are coming into the time of provision—rest in it.

- Are you willing to risk obeying God's leadership? 

- We need each other, as there are times we are in error, and others can speak into our lives with truth, to help us make changes that are needed to learn how to walk with God more effectively. 


22nd- Saturday’s post:  Are We Failing?  Tammie Johnson

23rd- Sunday's post:  God's Armor  Dr. Charles Stanley

    Sunday evening's post:  What Happens When We Say "Yes" to God?  Jean Oathout  (My impressions on a ladies retreat)

25th- Tuesday's post:  #65  Feeling the Wind of the Spirit  C. Peter Wagner


A popular post:   The Church, God’s Womb Upon the Earth: Prayer Note #91  Dutch Sheets shares with us,  “Whether through speaking, touching, laying hands on the sick, declaration or worship, when God’s power starts flowing upon the earth, it is flowing through human vessels."

Yep, it's almost time again!
(Google images added)


AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!

Wisdom for Brides (Christian Marriage, Counseling,
& Help) (Volume 1)



Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse  
Kindle $2.99 A review would be appreciated.

Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse
My book in paperback $9.45


No comments:

Post a Comment