Saturday, March 22, 2014

When Trust Is All You Have


Toni Campbell shares with us today:

The judge handed down a preliminary decision.  It was not what my attorney and I expected. It was not what anyone thought would happen.

"It's still not over" my lawyer counseled.  We'll go before the judge tomorrow and make our case.

The next day, we discovered we were not on the docket. Even after clearing up the communication error, the judge refused to see us. The preliminary decision, in all its unfairness, was final.

It was a crushing blow.

Tears flowed down my face as I tried to wrap my mind around what this all meant and what my next step would be.

"We'll file a motion to have it reviewed.  We'll send along some new information."

Weeks went by.  The court date was moved a week and I couldn't be there in person.  Then more waiting. Somehow, the review decision took more than a month and a half to reach me after it was made.

Declined.

I got angry.


I felt my attorney had failed me.  The judicial system had failed me.  And God?  Where was He in all of this?

I wrote about my "one word" for the new year. My One Word for 2014


I had no idea what it would be.  I'd prayed about it, debated on it, but didn't know what it was until, as I looked over what I had written in the post so far, I saw one word surface over and over again.  

Trust.


I braced myself.  I've walked with God long enough to know a word like that means lessons are going to be learned.  You don't trust without being put in situations where you have to exercise it.  


So where was God?  Right here.  Waiting for my decision.

Would I trust Him?

Would I believe He was still good if things didn't work out as I expected?

In a devotional entitled "False Security", I read these words "are you depending more on God's provision than on God himself?

I had to think about that. I wasn't sure I'd ever separated the two entities in my mind.

When I first entered this battle, I was okay. I had this - I've trusted God before. He's provided...

Money. And from the craziest places - for expenses like food, gas, insurance, utilities. It's a good thing He has cattle on a thousand hills, because I know more than a few have been sold on my behalf.

A job. One that He not only placed me in, but preserved through some very shaky times when others were not as fortunate, including a company sale this past May.

A car. I was blessed with the donation of (yes, as in free) a 2005 Nissan Altima when my Pathfinder gave up the ghost at 262,000 miles a little more than a year ago.

Each time a need arose, I brought it to Him, confident I could trust Him to provide.

But this time, no provision is evident. I'm in the 11th hour and I still see no definite way out. In fact, it seems like everything I could possibly lean on is being kicked out from under me.

When I was given my word, I was also given a scripture.  Proverbs 3:5 & 6: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Lean not on your own understanding...trust in the Lord.  Could it be any more plain?

In fact, every day this year...all 46 of them so far...God has shown me the word trust. In scripture. In song. In the email of a friend.  In a devotional.  In a picture posted on Facebook. Even in the title of a book I was given for my birthday. The word "trust" has become ubiquitous.

I'm on the look out for it now. Excited to see how it will appear. Knowing that seeing it is a promise from God...a personal gift, just for me.

As I write this today, the circumstances have not changed. The judge didn't suddenly change his mind. Things haven't turned in my favor. The way forward is not crystal clear.

What has changed is my attitude. I have laid it all down. I am taking days one at a time, holding on to His hand, confident that while I cannot see where any of this leads, He does. His provision is still there, even if it looks different than I imagined.

I love Ephesians 3:20.  Today it has come in front of me 4 times.  4 times!! Talk about confirmation. Ephesians 3:20 says this..."Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..."

I imagined an outcome that I did not receive.  But God is able to give me immeasurably more.

I was going to quote Psalm 84:11 here - "For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless." and then my eyes fell on the next verse..."O Lord Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you."

Thank you Jesus - I found my word trust for today." 

"In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly."  Psalm 5:3  
When Trust Is All You Have  Lakeside Lessons  by Toni Campbell 
Posted: 15 Feb 2014 05:47 PM PST  

Why Do Kids Make Mistakes?  by Jill Savage Posted: 10 Mar 2014 03:38 AM PDT
"Does it ever feel like your child does more wrong than they do right? As a parent, we know our kids aren’t failures. They can fail a quiz here and there, not win a tournament, and not earn a raise during their first job review, but none of that makes them failures." (Check out Jill's post on this subject!)

Let’s pray:


Gwen Smith - "Dear Lord, I admit that I sometimes fear the unexpected and do not fully trust in your perfect will. I know that you see the end from the beginning and that your thoughts are not my thoughts (Is. 55:8-9)

Forgive me for my lack of faith and please teach me to trust in you so that when the unexpected storms of life come, I will expect peace in the midst of those storms (Mark 4:37-40), knowing that you are near, you hear my cries, and you are with me and for me. In Jesus’ name, Amen."

Today’s Bible verses: Ps. 5:11 "But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice; let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

Ps. 13:5 "But I have trusted in thy mercy; my heart shall rejoice in thy salvation."

Ps. 16:1 "Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust."

Today’s quote: Audrey Vanhiel - "Courage is not having the strength to go on...it is going on when you don't have the strength."

Some thoughts today: Do you find it easy to trust God when things are easy? Difficult? What do you have a hard time trusting God with?

- You need some kind of trophy to prove God's moving in your life. What are you accomplishing for His Kingdom?

- People who settle, are doubtful of God's calling on their lives.


23rd- Sunday's post:  Stubborn Peace  Max Lucado

    Sunday evening's post:  Things That Make Me Happy  Jean Oathout

25th- Tuesday's post:  #69 Aarons and Hurs C. Peter Wagner

27th- Thursdays post:  #70 Recruiting Prayer Partners  C. Peter Wagner


A popular post:    Practicing Gratitude Sharon Jaynes shares with us, "Gratitude is the most effective way to deepen your consciousness to the fact that you are the object of God’s affection and love." 

When men pray together,
things happen!

jowildflowers@gmail.com (for comments)

AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!


Kindle $2.99 A review would be appreciated.

My book in paperback $7.95 (Check out the
reviews on Kindle of my book!)


Wisdom for Brides (Christian Marriage, 
Counseling, & Help) (Volume 1)

1 comment: