Tuesday, August 19, 2014

#111 Male Leaders and Female Intercessors

C. Peter Wagner tells
us: For some, female 
intercessors for male 
leaders works well.

I have mentioned that
I believe two of Paul's
intercessors were Euodia
and Syntyche, both women.

#12  Paul's Prayer Partners: Enodia and Syntyche

Having somewhat less evidence, I nevertheless suspect, as I have mentioned earlier, that Mary, the mother of John Mark, could have been one of Peter's closest intercessors.

To cause physical dependency, the enemy uses lust, inappropriate language and inappropriate contact.

In order to avoid any of this, common sense is needed. For one thing, the pastor mush have a solid marriage as a prerequisite for relating to an I-1 intercessor of the opposite sex.

There must be an open relationship between the spouses as well. The danger of physical indiscretion should be mutually recognized and assiduously avoided.

Cindy Jacobs says, 

   'Do not meet with a member of the opposite sex for prayer without someone else being present.'

I go so far as to say the less one-on-one contact there is between a leader and a member of the opposite sex in general the better.

Having breakfast or lunch or driving from one place to another with a female intercessor is not recommended.

I was concerned, when I developed these rules for myself years ago, that I might be overly old-fashioned. 


But I was heartened 
by my friend Pastor 
Rick Warren of Saddleback 
valley Community church.


He is a megachurch pastor in his 30's who has never been accused of being 'old-fashioned.'

After the Jimmy Swaggart scandal broke, he laid down for his staff  'Saddleback's Ten Commandments.'

  1. Thou shalt not visit the opposite sex alone at home.
  2. Thou shalt not counsel the opposite sex alone at the 
      office.
  3. Thou shalt not counsel the opposite sex more than 
      once without that person's mate.
  4. Thou shalt not go to lunch alone with the opposite sex.
  5. Thou shalt not kiss any attender of the opposite sex or 
      show affection that could be questioned.
  6. Thou shalt not discuss detailed sexual problems with 
      the opposite sex in counseling.
  7. Thou shalt not discuss your marriage problems with an 
       attender of the opposite six.
  8. Thou shalt be careful in answering cards and letters 
       from the opposite sex.
  9. Thou shalt make your secretary your protective ally.
10. Thou shalt pray for the integrity of other staff 
       members.

I have written out Rick Warren's rules in full because I think following them could avoid many of the problems we are having in the ministry today.

I agree with them and I follow them myself. Not only do I want to avoid pitfalls such as physical dependence, I also want to avoid the appearance of evil.

Recognize the Role of the intercessor
Both the leader and the intercessor should recognize that the role of the intercessor is:
  • A close personal relationship, but not marriage
  • A Strong influence in the life of the leader, but not manipulation or control
  • Partnership in ministry, but not ownership of ministry."
#111 Male Leaders and Female Intercessors, in the 
series taken from C. Peter Wagner’s book, PRAYER 
SHIELD, How to intercede for pastors, Christian leaders 
and others on the spiritual frontlines. (pgs. 193-195) 
by Regal Books

NEW UPDATED VERSION:
Prayer Shield, rev. and updated ed.: How to Intercede for Pastors and Christian LeadersRetail: $14.99 Save 20% ($3.00)
$11.99
Prayer Shield, rev. and updated ed.: How to Intercede for Pastors and Christian Leaders


CHOSEN / 2014 / TRADE PAPERBACK



Let’s pray:

   Father, I see that I need
to be more mindful of what
I do, and to remember that
it will have effect on others
around me.

   May my actions and word
be all You want them to be.

   Help me to always protect the folks I am with, to not allow any actions offend them, or anyone observing my conduct.

   I choose to maintain clean hands and a pure heart at all times.

   I pray that my behavior pleases You, dear Jesus. Amen.

Today’s Bible verse:  Neh. 5:9 "Also I said, It is not good that ye do: ought ye not to walk in the fear of our God because of the reproach of the heathen our enemies?"

Today’s quote: Bill Crowder – “It is only from God that we can receive the grace of forgiveness when our choices have produced painful regrets. And only in Him do we find the wisdom to make better choices.”

Some thoughts today: Jesus always saw a need as an opportunity. He still does! He sees your need, as well as those around you. You have a privilege of allowing Him to use you to minister to others. As He is spirit, He needs flesh to touch someone...

- God needs ordinary gifts to multiply. What's in your 
hand? Give it to Him. He'll use your "something" to do 
miracles. 1 Kings 17:8-16 (widow with flour and oil, 
struggling to survive, but shared, and God provided!)

- We do the natural, and God does the supernatural. Impact will be beyond your imagination. We look back and see what God has done because of our sacrifices.

21st Thursday’s post:  #111  Go and Do It
C. Peter Wagner

23rd- Saturday's post:  I Need to Hold You
Jo Huddleson

24th- Sunday's post:  Broken But Beautiful
Cindy Hess Kasper

24th- evening's post:  Too Young or Too Old?
Michael Brooks

A popular post: The Hidden Door of Temptation Dave Branon tells us, "No matter what the temptation, we are all vulnerable. It wasn't the first time it happened in sports, and it certainly won't be the last." 



AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!

Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse  
Kindle $2.99

Bridal Shower Devotional: Bridal
Wisdom for Women

Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse 
My book in paperback $7.95

(Check out the Reviews on the
Kindle page of my book)

Wisdom for Brides (Christian Marriage,
Counseling, & Help) (Volume 1)


No comments:

Post a Comment