Sunday, August 21, 2016

Prepare to Defend




Cindy Sproles: “We are flying on an overbooked flight. If you are willing to give up your 8 a.m. seat for a later flight, please see us at the desk.” 

The announcement rang through the airport P.A. No one in the waiting area raised a brow...
Again, the flight supervisor made an announcement. 

          “As you can see, we have 22 new Naval Academy  
           graduates with us today. Thank you ladies and 
           gentlemen for your service. Again, if anyone is 
           willing to give up their 8 a.m. seat for a later flight, 
           please see us at the desk.”
The waiting area at the gate erupted in cheers and applause for the 22 graduates, but not one person offered to give up their 8 a.m. seat.
I stood and gazed down the line of new recruits. “Excuse me, are all these recruits needing seats?”
The woman at the desk nodded. 

  “They’ve been called up immediately. We have to get 
    them to Charleston by evening.”
  “I’m in no hurry. I’m happy to hand over my seat.” 

The attendant at the counter thanked me and asked me to wait.

   “I’m not sure we can shuffle this many seats,” 
she whispered to her associate. It sounded like an odd situation. I’ve flown from Chicago numerous times when boot camp has ended and soldiers get their orders. 

I’ve never known them to be required to travel as a group. The attendant made a third announcement. Still no response.
I found my seat in the waiting area next to a young recruit and, after chatting with him, learned the recruits were heading to officer’s school. 

During this high alert time, the government wanted them traveling as a group for their safety.
Their safety? It suddenly occurred to me what a serious state our nation was in when our new officer trainees had to be protected themselves.
   “What made you join the military?” I asked.
    “I wanted to be someone who made a difference, 
     ma’am. I want to prepare to defend this country. 
     I had a mind to go to college, but the Lord impressed 
     on me this need.”
“Thank you for protecting me and my family.”  I jotted down a promise from Psalms and handed it to him. “You keep this close.” He smiled, stuffing my business card with the Scripture into his wallet.
David gave us such hope in his writings. Throughout the Psalms, he reminds us of the promises of a faithful and loving God. 

He held tight to his personal experiences, knowing God protected him and kept him from harm—watched over him. The hope found in this promise gave David a little extra boost. For us, it’s hope.
The flight miraculously had enough seating. I’m not sure how. No one else stepped forward to give up a seat, but God is God. Seating has never been an issue for Him. As we deplaned in Atlanta, the officer trainee stopped next to me. He smiled, patted his wallet, and walked away.
I’ll never see that young man again, but the opportunity to offer him a promise went into his wallet that day. I’m grateful for his service and for the service of the thousands of men and women who sacrifice for “one nation under God …”
Pray for our military, for their safety, and for this nation. Be grateful for our freedom, and be prepared to defend it.
(For more devotions, visit Christian Devotions.)

Cindy Sproles is an author and speaker. 
She is the cofounder of Christian Devotions Ministries and the Executive Editor of www.christiandevotions...
(Permission and Google image added)

Let's pray-
Google image
    Father, we can see that You're asking us to step up and take responsibility for opportunities which come to us to be a blessing to others.     

      Open our eyes to times You'll make it clear someone needs a word of assurance, that You'll not only be with them, but You'll guide them through whatever they're facing.

      Thank You for King David's example of living in complete trust in Your ability to protect him, and to give him Your peace. May we share this knowledge with others.

      I ask this in our Savior's name, Jesus. Amen.

Today's Bible verses-

(Micah 7:7) "Therefore I will look unto the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me."

(John 12:32) "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself."

Today's quote-

"As never before, we need God's servants who are willing to risk their lives to preach the uncompromising Word of God, calling people once again to total separation and purity in their lives." (p. 97 of The ROAD TO REALITY, Coming Home to Jesus from the Unreal World, by K.P. Yohannan, which can be purchased for $.01 + postage. It's a life-changing book!).

Jean's blog (link to snippets of recent posts. Click Read More for this whole post, and Older Posts, for some more posts).


  (There's a Special link given next week for Lisa Bevere's book, Without Rival, written out of her own struggles to find her God-given identity).


Upcoming posts-

                Ashamed
28th- Sunday's post by Lisa Buffaloe

            Called By Name
4th- Sunday evening's post by Dave Brannon

    #51 Importunity is Toil and Travail
6th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

    #52 Repetition in Importunity
8th- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel


Such beauty! I hope
you'll enjoy seeing it!


31-day Devotional my personal story

Sample poem from p. 47-

"You'll find to Him you'll bring glory
   As you walk in His Way.
Your life will become His story
When on His path you stay..."


(Published by Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas.
Used by permission).

 A great gift for someone who may need help to 
prepare for marriage, and for those in a 
marriage, wanting some helpful advice.

                    http://facebook.com/jean.oathout



1 comment: