Thursday, May 21, 2020

#26 Who Failed to Pray?


   Dr. Wesley L. Duewel-  When my wife and I first married, we lived temporarily in my parents' home before beginning our pastorate in another state.

   One night each week my parents drove several miles to a country schoolhouse, where my father conducted a Bible study and prayer meeting. One evening, while they were away, my wife and I were alone in my parents' home, praying on our knees, when a sudden premonition of terrible danger swept over me. 
(Google image, One room country schoolhouse)

   I began to plead God's mercy, lifting my hands in agony of prayer. I did not know what the danger was and thought perhaps a robber was outside our window. For ten minutes or more I could only plead the blood of Jesus and claim the name of Jesus.

   Then the burden lifted. My wife could not understand what had happened to me, and said my face was as white as a sheet. She asked me what I thought it was. I replied that I did not know, only that I was sure God had delivered from some great danger.

   About twenty minutes later there was a knock on our bedroom door. It was my mother. Her first words confirmed my earlier apprehension: 

     "Oh, Wesley, God has been so merciful to us tonight! When Papa and I were driving home on the highway, the bright light of an oncoming car blinded our eyes. The car was coming at high speed straight at us. At the last moment it swerved and just missed us When it was past, we realized that we were on the wrong side of the road!"

   Explain it as you will. Perhaps it was the hand of prayer that guided the steering wheel of the speeding car and swerved it to avoid a collision. Perhaps I had touched heaven's throne, and God sent an angel to handle the situation. I do not know.

   But this I do know: God alerted us to intercede and at the very time of danger spared the lives of my parents to many more years of ministry. Thereafter, when I hear that a valuable servant has been killed in an accident, I ask myself: "Who failed to pray?"

 This Amazing Privilege

   There is indescribable sacred reality in prayer. We have only begun to learn the ABC's of intercession. We have hardly begun to understand what it means to be a royal priest to God (1 Peter 2:9; Rev. 1:6), a co-intercessor with Christ. 

   God has given us the amazing privilege of projecting our love, our touch, and our presence through prayer. This is not mystical fanaticism. The people referred to in this chapter are not unreal super-saints, given to the visionary. They are down-to-earth, ordinary people, but they are great intercessors.

   We must not make a hobby of the visionary or the spectacular. Neither should we fail to take advantage of the amazing privilege granted us by God. The power of prayer is still largely undiscovered and little understood by many of His dear children. We live so far below our spiritual capacity, our privileges and rights as children of God!

   "Let us know, let us press on to know the Lord. His going forth is as certain as the dawn" (Hos. 6:3 NASB). "I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord . . . I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection" (Phil. 3:8, 10).

   What is your deepest desire? How intense are your spiritual yearnings? Is your consuming hunger to know Christ better, to know the sacred secret of His presence, His power, how to commune with Him and how to prevail with Him as you share his intercession? 

   Then indeed you will begin to fulfill your role as His bride and His royal priest and co-intercessor.

(Chapter 9, pp. 67-68, italics added for emphasis)


Used by permission 
of the Duewel Literature Trust, Inc,
Greenwood, Indiana
Available by phone
317-881-6755, ext, 361
or www.duewelliteraturetrust.org

Let's pray-

   "Father, You are the Strength of my life. I am working out my own salvation with reverence, not in my own strength for you are effectually at work in me, energizing and creating in me the power and desire both to will and to work for your good pleasure, satisfaction and delight. I am a new creation in Christ; old things have passed away, and today I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Nothing shall be impossible to me in the name of Jesus. Amen" 

Germine Copeland  Prayers that avail much
Scripture Reading:
Psalm 27:1
Philippians 2:12-13 AMP
Philippians 4:13
2 Corinthians 5:17



Today's Bible verses-

       Ps. 28:7 (NKJV) "The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him."

       Is. 30:21 (NKJV) "Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it,' When ever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left."

       Phil. 1:19 (NKJV) "For I know that this will turn out for  my salvation through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ."


Today's quote-


God does not keep His child immune from trouble; He promises, “I will be with him in trouble…” (Psalm 91:15). It doesn’t matter how real or intense the adversities may be; nothing can ever separate him from his relationship to God. In all these things we are more than conquerors…” (Romans 8:37). Paul was not referring here to imaginary things, but to things that are dangerously real. And he said we are “super-victors” in the midst of them, not because of our own ingenuity, nor because of our courage, but because none of them affects our essential relationship with God in Jesus Christ. I feel sorry for the Christian who doesn’t have something in the circumstances of his life that he wishes were not there.(
MY UTMOST for HIS HIGHEST, updated edition)

Words of wisdom-


~ Have you learned heaven's password? It's the only name God's given for us to to there one day. As Jesus is the only Way, the Truth and the Life, He is the only safe and secure entry into His kingdom.

   There is righteousness, peace and true happiness there. "Jesus" is the only password we need!

Our featured post-


I Could Never Be as Good as You, Lord
Debbie McEwen
Gazebo in Potsdam, NY
"In heaven there will be peace and rest from our labors.  
God has a place waiting for each of us.
His grace gives us more that any of us could ever earn.

I get impatient, angry, frustrated 
   and so on with others

You never do"

(Debbie gives many local photos with the locations)



The home pages of the CFC website: https://www.cfconline.org/
Replay past services 
The livestream link: https://www.cfconline.org/live 
[For CFC Sunday services 10 and 10:15]


Upcoming posts

Love's Long Reach
23rd- Saturday's post by James Banks

#27 Your King Gives You His Keys
26th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

#28 Jesus Holds the Key of David
28th- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

Who Are You?
30th- Saturday's post by Lee Forbes








No comments:

Post a Comment