Monday, November 5, 2012

A Time to Rest




Andrea Merrell shares with us, "My feet rushed down the hallway, through the foyer, and into the sanctuary.

Two steps over the threshold, someone grabbed my arm. 'Slow down. You look like you’re in attack-mode.'

I was doing it again.

 Focused on the tasks before me, I was oblivious to the people around me who needed my attention—oblivious to my own need to stop, take a deep breath, and keep myself from getting stressed out—again!

I’m a 'doer.' Not a bad thing when balanced with rest, relaxation, and large doses of fun. The problem is, this balance keeps eluding me. 

No matter how hard I try, I feel guilty when I’m not 'doing.'

Recently, I found myself with lots of time on my hands after two back-to-back surgeries.

Since the latter involved my vision, I couldn’t read, work on the computer, or exert myself in any way. Sleeping and watching TV became my existence.

Instead of allowing my spirit, soul, and body a time of rest and recuperation, I fought the down-time. 

I fretted over the slow healing process, the inability to do anything around the house, and missing so much time at work.

Friends told me to stop worrying and to allow my body time to heal.

Someone suggested I accept the down-time as a gift. My greatest need was to 'rest in the Lord' and I realized I didn’t know how.


Photo courtesy of microsoft.com free image gallery
Time on my hands


I prayed for God to teach me how to be still before Him and listen. 

It was in those quiet, intimate moments with Him I found the acceptance, affirmation, and strength I so desperately needed.

He drew me closer, watered my dry, thirsty soul, and showed me my identity is truly not in what I do, but in who I am—His child.

If Jesus is our ultimate example, even He took time to get away by Himself and rest. 

He hung out with His disciples, shared meals with friends, and took time to play with the children.

He does not require us to prove our worth by being constantly busy, always trying to measure-up to the standards of others.

It’s easy to become ensnared by our own misguided idea of what it takes to please God and those around us.

Don’t get lost in the 'doing' and miss the rest in simply 'being.'

There is tremendous freedom in knowing we don’t have to earn God’s love or approval.

He invites us to come as we are with all our baggage—our hurts, needs, and fears—and lay those burdens at His feet. 

“Come unto me,” He said, “and I will give you rest.” That’s a promise and an eternally open invitation.

I accepted it. Will you?"

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28-29 (NIV)
A Time to Rest – Andrea Merrellavatar

Photo courtesy of microsoft.com free image gallery

Andrea Merrell lives in the upstate of South Carolina and is a freelance writer and editor with a passion to help others see God’s Word as practical and relevant for ordinary, everyday life.

Andrea is a staff writer and Associate Editor for www.ChristianDevotions.us. She is also Associate Editor for Lighthouse Publishing of the Carolinas.

Her work has been published in Spirit & Heart: A Devotional Journey, Faith & Finances: In God We Trust, Faith & Family, PEN Points, The Write Life, and Extraordinary Answers to Prayer.

She also writes for www.cornerstonegreenville.com

Visit her website at www.andreamerrell.com.

Read Andrea’s devotions.


Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!





Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

The following is my adapted prayer [for my pastors] on today's "Scripture-based Prayers to Pray for Your Pastor". These cards are provided through www.praymag.com

"Jesus, keep my pastor(s) holy in every way. Protect (them) from seducing spirits, especially when (they are) tired and hard-pressed. Provide friends to help protect my pastor(s) and to walk with (them) in personal holiness."  1 Peter 1:16

The following is what is written in the "31 Days of Praying for your Pastor", provided through www.LifeAction.org , for you to pray for your pastor on the 5th:

"Ask God to protect your pastor's marriage and keep it strong as a model of Christ's relationship with the church. Pray that your pastor will tenderly cherish and lead his wife, and that she will respect and encourage her husband, submitting to his leadership. (Eph. 5:23-33) (If your pastor is not married, pray for his relationships with loved ones and those who are close to him/her).

When I've run out of "days' on the "Scripture-based Prayers to Pray for Your Pastor", I just re-number them...and keep praying.

Tomorrow’s post:  The Journey Begins with Want  Linda Rondeau
Today’s treasure truth #26: If you are “born again”, you are above only and not beneath. Deu. 28:13
Our thought for today: When you pray and look to God for guidance, He will help you see the best thing to do. He'll reveal in time when and how to do it.  He wants it done for your own good, as well as to bring Him glory.
A 31-day devotional book for women
contemplating marriage and
looking for godly advice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment