Monday, November 26, 2012

Peaceful Slumber





Toni Campbell shares with us about
her  fear.

"Fear. I was gripped with it each evening as I tried to fall asleep.

For the first eighteen years of my life I lived under my father’s roof.

Then I got married and lived with my husband for the next twenty-seven.

Until I was separated, I had never been alone and 'unprotected.'

That’s when the fear hit.

For six months, I slept on the couch. It was silly, but I felt if I was in my bedroom, I might not hear an intruder.

Not that it would give me any real advantage to be roused from my sleep as someone tried to break in the front door just a few feet away.

My back ached, I was exhausted from tossing and turning on a piece of furniture never meant for providing a good night’s sleep. 

Then one evening as I read my Bible, I discovered Psalm 4:8.

I prayed for peace and safety, and saw in my mind’s eye, a picture of huge, bright, ten-feet-tall angels, dressed in brilliant white and brandishing swords.

 Sent by God, they stood around the perimeter of my home, guarding against evil.

David was often pursued by enemies. Many of the Psalms are cries to God for deliverance from those who sought his life. He was king, and yet the position and power that came with the title were not enough to protect him.

He knew real safety was found only in the Living God.

Today, we install locks and alarm systems, buy a dog, or have emergency numbers on speed dial. But none of these precautions give us true peace and safety. Only God can provide that.

The Psalm says, "You hem me in behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me." You can’t get any more watched over than that.

Does fear and worry keep you from a good night’s sleep? 




Trust in the only one who can make you dwell in safety. Only then can you sleep in the confidence of His peace."

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, oh Lord make me dwell in safety." Psalm 4:8 (NIV)

Peaceful Slumber – Toni Campbell
Toni Campbell is a copywriter and voiceover talent whose true passion is writing and blogging about community outreach and lessons learned through God’s creation at her favorite lake.

She is grateful for a God who restores broken lives and supplies beauty for ashes.

In her church, she heads up the community outreach ministry, sings on the praise team, and leads a monthly women’s prayer group. Toni has two grown children, a son-in-law on the way, and resides in New Jersey.

You can read her blog at www.lakesidelessons.blogspot.com.

Read Toni’s devotions.

Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!




Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

[Father, help us remember Toni's words: "Trust in the only one who can make you dwell in safety. Only then can you sleep in the confidence of His peace."]

Our quotes for today: Oswald Chambers: "You have no business to find out where God is leading, the only thing God will explain to you is Himself."

Greg Horn: "No matter what happens to you, the important thing is what happens in you"

"When we are afraid, we can depend on God's understanding Isa. 40:28 and trust in His love for us that "casts out fear" 1 John 4:18. The next time fear creeps into your life, don't panic. God can be trusted in the darkness. Jennifer Benson Schuldt


Into His hands I lay the fears that haunt me,
The dread of future ills that may befall;
Into His hands I lay the doubts that taunt me,
And rest securely, trusting Him for all.
Trusting God's faithfulness dispels our fearfulness."
Our Daily Bread
11/25/12


Today’s treasure truth #7: If you are “born again”, you are a new creature. 2 Cor. 5:17
Our thought for today: Do you call on the Lord to be refreshed?
Tomorrow’s post: Differing Measures of Power: Prayer Note #93 Dutch Sheets

Samples of Jean's crafts    
 Crafts order blank link

So You Plan to Marry a Man  A devotional book for women contemplating marriage and looking for godly advice.

http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout  

No comments:

Post a Comment