Friday, February 1, 2013

Faithful Giving



"Burnin" a hole in my pocket.



David Maddox shares with us this story of a woman he counseled:

“After my husband died unexpectedly, his grown children by an earlier marriage evicted me from my husband’s house. 

Suddenly, I was alone, unemployed and homeless, but for the kindness of a cousin.

I’d always tithed my time, talents, and money to God, not out of a sense of reluctant obligation, but of delight in returning a portion I’d prayerfully decided to give. 

It wasn’t long before I began to rationalize and question whether I could afford to give at all, much less tithe.”

That was the story from a woman whom I’d counseled. She went on to explain a series of unexpected events that began to unfold in her life. 

These events convinced her of the extent of God’s love and provision, when she chose to trust God and give, in spite of her circumstances.

She received a $17,000 inheritance. Next, $5,800 from a settlement with her stepchildren. 

Then, a $5,000 refund from the IRS and earned $1,000 on a contract job. 'God was clearly demonstrating He could and would provide for me,' she said.

A few weeks later, she received a letter from a woman she’d met while attending a women’s retreat. 

She was shocked to find that the envelope contained $3,223—a little more than the amount she had tithed. 'I tried to refuse the money, but my new friend insisted, telling me by not accepting her gift I would be robbing her of a blessing.'



God Loves a cheerful giver


Giving is a decision we each make and though God does not always provide in the way He cared for this woman, He never fails to meet our needs. 

He doesn’t ask us to give because He needs our money. 

He asks us to give so that our joy may be full, knowing that God loves a cheerful giver.

Is your giving reluctant because you feel obligated, or is your giving intentional and cheerful because you love God? Give with a cheerful heart."

“Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV)

Faithful Giving – David Maddox




Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net and posterize.

David Maddox

David Maddox is a retired City Manager living in Sweetwater, TX with his wife of 45 years, Audra.

 They have two sons, daughters-in-law, and six grandchildren. 

David is a freelance writer; his devotionals have been published in the devotion guide, “Light from the Word” and in “When God Steps In”.

Read David’s devotions




Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!





Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

Let's pray:  Father, if I'm not giving cheerfully, I ask that You change my heart and attitude. I want to please you and be a good steward of all You provide for me, one way or another. Remind me that You'll never fail to meet my needs if I put You first, especially in my finances. Amen

My personal prayer note:  Become familiar with God’s Word so you can sense His will in the matter at hand.  

Today’s quote:  George Muller - "Many believers have never experienced the joy and the fulfillment that come as a result of giving to the Lord's work in tithes and offerings. They have never known the satisfaction of honoring God through their giving. As a result, they have also never known the blessings that can come upon every area of their lives as a result of that obedience."

Our thought for today:  Sometimes we don't see the fruit of our faith, but answers will come.

Tomorrow’s post:  Think Right...Live Right  Mary Southerland

A popular post:  ACCOUNTABILITY: A HEDGE OF PROTECTION 


Check the Magazine on the left, at the top of this page.
 Look at the Mosaic formatting with all the titles, and many photos. The photos switch around every time I check in there...interesting...

 Or check out the Snapshot  of all the photos I've posted, with titles.
The Snapshot  is my favorite, as I can see the titles with the photos that I've made.



A 31-day devotional book for
Women contemplating marriage
 And looking for godly advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment