Wednesday, May 8, 2013

He Restores My Soul


Small town goodnessJames P. Willis tells us, "I stood with the rest of an unfamiliar congregation to sing a familiar old hymn. 

I was in a new town, in a new church, without a familiar face anywhere in the room. 

Too much time had passed since I had attended a church service. 

I often told myself I really didn’t need to go to church to worship God, and I was fine without it. 

Something had drawn me back, but I still wasn’t sure I wanted to be there.

This was a large downtown church, much different than the small country church I had once called home. 


When the music started, we read words projected on the wall rather than from the pages of our hymnals. 

Not being musically inclined, my usual role in any church’s musical program was that of listener, but occasionally, if the song was familiar, I’d quietly sing along. 

How Great Thou Art was one I could sing from memory. Grateful I finally had something with which I was familiar, I added my voice to the singing until we reached the chorus.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God to Thee, How great Thou art, How great Thou art.

When I reached those lines my voice failed me. 


I realized how long it had been since my soul had sang. 

The passing time had been filled with professional challenges, marital stress, financial problems, health issues, and parenting struggles. 

My faith had remained whole and helped me to cope, but the joy had slowly faded from my soul. 

It was the lack of joy that robbed my soul of the need to sing.

Even the strongest of us grow weary from the struggles we all face, but Jesus said, “Come to me, all ye who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”  


By neglecting the fountain of refreshment God provided, I had allowed my soul to grow weary. 

While it is true that we can worship wherever we might be, the fellowship of other believers and communal worship recharges us and refreshes our spirit. 

That morning as my physical voice faltered, my soul once again began to sing.

Open your heart and join in worship. You’ll find your voice and it will sing to His glory. Let Him restore your soul."


"My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul,
which thou hast redeemed." Psalm 71:23 (KJV)

He Restores My Soul – James Willis
 
   April 22, 2013
  Photo courtesy of micrsoft.com free image gallery.


James P. Willis is a Navy veteran, an industrial mechanic, and a freelance writer who lives in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. 


Visit James at http://jamespwillis.blogspot.com.

Read James’s devotions.
Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!


Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

Let’s pray: Father, we are in need of Your Presence, and we ask for You to make Yourself known to us. Our thoughts sometimes wonder when we're in church. For this, we repent, as we know Your desire is to bless us as we worship in song, as well as when listening to Your Word. May we be more attentive to our church service this coming weekend! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

 
Today’s Bible verse for when you plan your budget: St. Luke 19

Today’s quote: GodVine – “Please don't spend your life in the
pursuit of the worthless "fool's gold" that our society holds dear. Don't try to gain the whole world and in the process lose your soul. Instead spend your days here building "the Treasures of Heaven" in your heart. 


If you do, then your days will be blessed with sunshine, smiles, and sweet laughter. If you do, then you will not only fill your soul with love but you will also scatter joy to the world around you. If you do, then you will be able to give God the most priceless gift of all: your
life lived with love.”

Tomorrow’s post:  #11 15,000 Revival in Ireland Dr. R. A. Torrey

A popular post: WHAT WILL BE SAID AT YOUR MEMORIAL?






No comments:

Post a Comment