Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Happy Have-Not

Faye Field shares with us: "What am I thankful for this Thanksgiving?

I am thankful that I do not have a clothes dryer.


If I owned one, surely I'd miss the exhilaration that comes from taking a basket full of clothes into the fresh air and the ritual of the clothesline, where garment by garment, peg by peg, I link my family together, symbolically at least.


I'd miss the wet flapping sound that sheets in the wind make.


I'd miss the feeling of sisterhood I share with all the women of all ages who have worked at homey chores for the people they love.


I am thankful I do not have a microwave oven, for I am accustomed to a slower pace.


Besides, I love to peek into my friendly old stove to see the turkey crisping, to watch pale, waddy dough turning into fluffy brown rolls.

I am thankful I do not have air conditioning, for then I likely would not fling open the windows. 

Closed in, I might not see the little green lizard scampering on the screen.  


Over the hum of an air conditioner, I might not hear the chattering of bluejays in the early morning, the gentle rain at night.


I might even miss the howling of the wind.


I am thankful I do not have; wall-to-wall carpeting, for I love the glow of polished hardwood; central heat, for watching the dying embers in our fireplace makes me feel at peace; a new sofa, for I like the way the old one embraces me.


It would take too long, I fear, for a new one to yield to my measurements.



I am thankful I do not have a gardener, for I would not spend the hours I do in my flower beds.


I would not be on my knees as often, closer to the earth, closer to you, Lord, in prayer, telling you of all the many things for which I am thankful."

[As seen in the November 2013 GUIDEPOSTS magazine, pg.43, GUIDEPOSTS. ORG 

(Google images added)
        
 I Remember....Linda M Hill

"No video games or heavy metal
When I was just a child
Neighbors were always welcome
To come in and stay awhile
A game of hopscotch on the walk
From a wobbly child's hand
Song's were sung in a language
We could all understand

Mama canned from the garden
She washed clothes on a board
We didn't seem to miss
The luxuries we couldn't afford
No mall, no Walmart or McDonald's
How did we ever get by
Life was playing in the sun
Eating Mama's apple pie

I remember a swing set
Daddy had put up out back
And listening to the lone whistles
From a nearby railroad track
There was no talk of dope
Not one reason to fight
No one was ever afraid
Doors were left unlocked at night

There were no reports of shootings
On the morning news
Nothing was ever thrown away
Someone else could use
We learned respect from Mama
To say Yes Ma'm and Thank You
We wasn't above a spanking
I've been known to have a few

A game of hopscotch on the walk
From a wobbly child's hand
Song's were sung in a language 

We could all understand"

I Remember by Linda M Hill
Sunday, May 05, 2013
Rated "G" by the Author.

(Used with permission)

Let’s pray: 

   Father, those of us who remember the things mentioned above, do realize there was more simplicity back in those days. Today though, things are so different for many of us. When we read and hear about "how things used to be", may we try to understand their sentiments, and be thankful for our present-day living, giving You the credit for our every blessing. Help us to simplify our lives, so we can be more at ease, and enjoy our lives as they are today. In Jesus' Name we pray, amen.

Today’s Bible verse: Ps. 33:20 "Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help, and our shield."

Today’s quote:              God's Blessings

"As we gather round the table
We bow our heads in prayer
To thank You, God, for loving us
And for Your constant care.
We thank You for our blessings,
Our friends and families.
We thank You for Your guidance
And for Your perfect peace.
Your awesomeness surrounds us
In everything we do.
How blessed we are to have a God
As wonderful as You." 

Frances Gregory Pasch


(Used with permission)




Some thoughts today: Proverbs teach us cheerfulness is good medicine. Solomon understood how infectious laughter and joy could be, and he encouraged those around him who looked at life through sour eyes, to enjoy the healing medicine found in happiness.

- We're being fashioned to be conduits for Christ, created for good works, to His glory. Our gifts are to be a blessing to others. God wants to fill us with His Spirit, so we can display His light to others.

- Do your best for one person at a time, as it will have an effect on others.

Sunday’s post:  The Price of Integrity  Nate Stevens

Tuesday's post:  #37  Secrets of Pastors' Prayer Lives  C. Peter Wagner

Thursday's post:  #38  How Much Do Pastors Pray?  C. Peter Wagner

A popular post:  Practicing GratitudeSharon Jaynes shares with us, "Gratitude is the most effective way to deepen your consciousness to the fact that you are the object of God’s affection and love."




(Several Google images added)


http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout


Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse  
Kindle addition $1.99







No comments:

Post a Comment