Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Price of Integrity

ID-100136483
Nate Stevens shares with us, "How much is your integrity worth to you?

I recently went to a major retail store to buy some landscape lights. After looking at a dozen different styles, I found what I wanted.

Placing my new found merchandise in my cart, I headed for the check-out line.

The cashier was friendly and rang up my purchase quickly.

As I left the store and headed to my car, I decided to see how much each light cost. They weren't expensive, but I was curious.

Pulling the receipt from the bag, I saw an agreeable price – and something else.

The cashier only charged me for five lights, yet I bought six. I turned around and reentered the store.

After standing in the same line for what seemed like an eternity, it was finally my turn.

The cashier looked surprised to see me again so soon. When I explained what happened, she gratefully thanked me and rang up the extra light. 





As I turned to leave, she said, 'I’m surprised you came back for something so small – most people wouldn’t have bothered. After all, it was my mistake.'

I told her it wasn’t a small deal. Aside from it being wrong to take something I hadn’t paid for, it was a matter of integrity.

Sure, I could have taken the approach she described, tallied it up as her mistake, and been on my way.

But every time I mowed the lawn or hedged the bushes around that specific light, I would have been reminded of the small price I placed on my integrity.

The temptation to betray our financial integrity isn’t always so small.

Padding the corporate expense account, fudging the numbers on tax returns, using business vehicles for personal errands, misrepresenting the sales price on a wrecked car – the temptations are all around.

If you fail the small-value tests, you will fail the higher-value tests.

As His representatives to the unbelieving world, God calls His followers to be faithful stewards of the financial resources He gives them.

Jesus’ story of the talents (Matthew 25) confirms the fact that God holds us accountable for what He has given us. Whether little or large, He calls us to the standard of unwavering faithfulness.

Rise to His standard.

May we all live in such a way that we hear Him say ... "Well done, good and faithful servant."

"Moreover it is required in stewards that one be found faithful." I Corinthians 4:2 NKJV

The Price of Integrity - Nate Stevens


Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net and franky242.

As a missionary kid who grew up in a Christian home and church, Nate Stevens has enjoyed a thirty-year banking career in a variety of leadership roles. 

Recently, God made it clear Nate should use his writing talents for God’s kingdom. He has written online devotionals for his home church (Calvary Church in Charlotte, NC) for the past two years.

His first book, Matched 4 Marriage – Meant 4 Life was recently published and released (www.natestevens.net).

God is opening doors for speaking engagements at conferences, seminars, churches, etc., for singles, young adults, young marrieds, and youth.

Nate received his MBA from Liberty University. He currently lives near Charlotte, North Carolina, and is an active dad with his two awesome kids, Melissa and Mitchell.

Read Nate's devotions.

Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!


Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

(Google image added)


176866924
Jill Savage also shares with us, "Mark and I came from very different upbringings.
This made for very different perspectives about many aspects of family life.
It’s also set the stage for conflict.
In the early years, we tried to find common ground when one of these differences arose, but that proved to be very difficult.  

We were in the heat of the moment and we were both very sure of the “right” thing to do–even though our “rights” were not the same."

For further information as to what Jill and Mark did to improve their marriage, and their relationship, visit:

Today’s Bible verse: Prov. 10:22 "The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich."

Today’s quote: Denise K. Loock – “Knowing when to speak and when to remain silent is a daily battle for me. I’m learning to pray about delicate matters at least twenty-four to forty-eight hours before I open my mouth. That gives the Spirit time to speak to me. Often He says, “Wait.” Occasionally, He provides the opportunity for me to speak. Always, though, He works in my heart and adjusts my attitude.”

Some thoughts today: Affirmation needs to come from God. He will bless us! He will always do things right.

- Our debt to God is far greater than anyone's to us. We cannot get even in judgment. We're to forgive and let God handle it.

- You are God's poetry! He wants your life to become an expression of Himself to the world. Fill your life with good works for Him.

Tuesday’s post:  #37  Secrets of Pastors' Prayer Lives  C. Peter Wagner

Thursday's post:  #38  How Much Do Pastors Pray?  C. Peter Wagner

Saturday's post:  Praying With Confidence  Dr. Charles Stanley

Sunday's post:  Who Am I?  God's Promises

A popular post:  Blinded by Pride   Dutch Sheets asks, “How does Satan blind the mind of the unbeliever?"


Such beauty!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Reminds me of part of a sermon from John Ault in Potsdam. Just before qualifying for the Senior Discount, he was shopping. The cashier asked him, "Senior discount?" to which he replied, "nope, not quite yet - I've still got 3 (or 4 or 5, I forget) months to go." The guy in line behind him exclaimed, "that close, I'd've taken the discount!!" to which John replied, "my integrity is worth more than 35 cents." :-)

    ReplyDelete