Sunday, June 1, 2014

How Long?

ID-100110273
James Cagle: I didn’t quit –even after 
was diagnosed with cancer and went 
through lengthy treatments to cure it.

Dealing with cancer and the treatment, as well as with other very personal family problems, weighed heavy on my heart. 

These things were constantly in my thoughts. Day in and day out I carried these burdens. 

Doubt, worry, disappointment, depression, and discouragement were my constant companions.

But I didn’t quit. I never stopped reading my Bible.

During this time my Bible became more precious to me. Reading it didn’t make the pain go away. It helped me stay focused through the pain.

One day when it seemed I wasn’t winning the battle in my thought life, I headed for my place of prayer. 

I’d reached the tipping point and couldn’t take anymore. Tears fell as I cried out to the One I knew cared very much, yet allowed this to happen. 

I’ll never forget the words I spoke as my heart broke in two. Nor will I forget God’s response.

"I don’t like it," I cried an honest confession. “I’ve endured enough.”

God, in an instant, spoke to my heart and I heard Him clearly in my mind. 

"What do you mean, you don’t like it? You don’t like what I’m doing? You said you surrendered your all to me and wanted to grow up ... more than anything else, you wanted to know me. I’m doing these things in order that I might give you the things you asked for: wisdom, spiritual experience, a better understanding of my Word, and the ability to explain it. Isn’t it worth all this?"

In my darkest hour I saw the greatest light. It wasn’t what I’d like to have happen, but I did like what God was doing, and I didn’t want Him to stop.

My trials, though not over, were lessened. I was no longer focused on them and me, but on God.

How long do our trials last? As long as it takes us to stop focusing on them and start focusing on Him. 

Focus on Christ.

"How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart?" Psalm 13:2 NIV

How Long? - James Cagle

Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net and Janaka Dharmasena.

james 7-4-2013 004
James Cagle was born and grew up in the South. He was a Marine and later attended Tabernacle Bible College in Greenville, S.C. 

James was a pastor for eleven years and taught college level courses on Old Testament Survey and Church Doctrine. 

Many of his poems have been published. A current resident of Lakeland, Georgia, James works on a large sod farm, and is a regular contributor to the local newspaper. 

There’s nothing James enjoys more than putting in writing for others to read, that which God has shown him.

Read James' poetry.



 Let’s pray:

   Father, let me understand what it is You're doing in my life that's intended to bring me closer to You.

   Grant me wisdom, spiritual experience, a better understanding of Your Word, and the ability to explain it.

   May I see the value of what I'm presently going through, so I will grow in faith and character.

   I ask this in Jesus' Name. Amen

Today’s Bible verse: Matt. 21:22 "And all things whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."

Today’s quote: 

Just a Closer Walk with Thee

J
ust a closer walk with Thee,
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea,
Daily walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

I am weak, but Thou art strong,
Jesus, keep me from all wrong,
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.

Through this world of toil and snares,
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.

When my feeble life is o’er,
Time for me will be no more,
Guide me gently, safely o’er
To Thy kingdom's shore, to Thy shore.

Author unknown / arranged. By William J. Floyd         

Some thoughts today: Recall what God has done. Tell your story! Your legacy has begun, and those around you are being effected by it. Are you building your own legacy, or Christ's? see James 1:19 (be slow to speak...)

- We can react in wrath to present situations. Remember what the goal is, to train children in righteousness.

- Have you seen that what they do is a reflection of  you? (so true!) We need to address the need we have, first.

1st- Sunday evening's post:  Keeping the Family Ritual  Sirmal Marthenis

3rd- Tuesday's post:  #89  The Miracle for Pastor Everett  C. Peter Wagner

5th- Thursday's post:  #90  Prophetic Intercession  C. Peter Wagner

7th- Saturday's post:  Do You Have Empty Jars?  Barbara Suiter

A popular post: THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IN YOU  Sharon Jaynes shares with us, "Holocaust survivor Corrie ten Boom spent the last years of her life speaking to men and women all around the world about the God who sustained her during her imprisonment and who delivered her from the Nazi prison camps.  



AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!

Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse  
Kindle $2.99 a review would be
appreciated.
Bridal Shower Devotional: Bridal
Wisdom for Women

Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse 
My book in paperback $7.95
(Check out the Reviews on the
Kindle page of my book)

Wisdom for Brides (Christian
Marriage, Counseling, & Help) (Volume 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment