Saturday, August 9, 2014

Behind the Song- In the Garden

Diana Leagh Matthews shares
In the Gardenwith us: "Dr. Adam Geibel, a 
music publisher, asked 
pharmacists and composer, 
C. Austin Miles, to write a 
hymn that would bring hope.

C. Austin Miles


C. Austin Miles
Miles retreated to ” a cold, 
dreary and leaky basement 
in New Jersey that didn’t 
even have a window in it let 
alone a view of a garden,” 
according to his great-granddaughter. 

Miles turned to his Bible and read John 20:18 about the meeting of Jesus and Mary Magdalene in the garden, after the resurrection.
Miles said he could see the scene unfold before him while he read the scripture passage. He wrote the song and thought that it would make a great Easter song.
Miles would later explain the experience this way: 

   “One day in April 1912, I was seated in the dark room, 
    where I kept my photographic equipment and organ. I 
    drew my Bible toward me; it opened at my favorite 
    chapter, John 20—whether by chance or inspiration let 
    each reader decide.

That meeting of Jesus and Mary Magdalene in the GardenJesus and 
Mary had lost none of its power 
and charm. As I read it that day, 
I seemed to be part of the scene. 

I became a silent witness to that 
dramatic moment in Mary’s life, 
when she knelt before her Lord, 
and cried, “Rabboni!” 


    My hands were resting on the Bible while I stared at 
    the light blue wall. As the light faded, I seemed to 
    be standing at the entrance of a garden, looking 
    down a gently winding path, shaded by olive branches. 

    A woman in white, with head bowed, hand clasping 
    her throat, as if to choke back her sobs, walked slowly 
    into the shadows. It was Mary. 

    As she came to the tomb, upon which she placed her 
    hand, she bent over to look in, and hurried away. John, 
    in flowing robe, appeared, looking at the tomb; then 
    came Peter, who entered the tomb, followed slowly 
    by John. 

    As they departed, Mary reappeared; leaning her head 
    upon her arm at the tomb, she wept. Turning herself, 
    she saw Jesus standing, so did I. I knew it was He. 

    She knelt before Him, with arms outstretched and 
    looking into His face cried, “Rabboni!” 

    I awakened in sun light, gripping the Bible, with 
    muscles tense and nerves vibrating. 

    Under the inspiration of this vision I wrote as quickly
    as the words could be formed the poem exactly as it 
    had since appeared. That same evening I wrote the 
    music.” 

The popular hymn was first published in 1912. The song 
was originally made popular by Billy Sunday Evangelistic 
Campaigns and many people around the world fell in love 
with this hymn. 

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans recorded a popular version in 
1950, In the Garden was one of the hymns Elvis loved to 
sing, (watch him on www.youtube.com/watch?v=
BPVMuti9ThQ,) and Governor Earl Kemp Long of Louisiana 
had the words of the hymn inscribed on a bench by his 
grave."


Diana Leagh Matthews


Let’s pray:

   Father, it's such a blessing
to see where the old songs
come from, as there's always
a story of faith connected with
them.

   The old favorites seem to be
coming back to us, and I, for
one, am thankful.

   We ask for more information on songs, like what Diana shares with us. Bless her efforts to help us understand what folks went through, to give us songs of faith. www.singingthesonginmyheart.com

  May we appreciate her efforts, and others, to share with us information that blesses us, and helps us appreciate what others have gone through in order to give us such blessed songs of inspiration.

  I ask this in Jesus' Name. Amen.

Today’s Bible verse: Ps. 17:6, 8 "I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings."

Today’s quote: David Roper – “God doesn’t call us to find fulfillment in the amount of work we do for him, or the number of people who are a part of that work, but in faithfully doing our work for His sake. Serving our great God with His strength in a small way is not a stepping-stone to greatness — it is greatness.” 


Some thoughts today: As a Christian, you have the best Boss there is! If you have excellent ethics, it'll effect all that you do. It should allow Christ to help you be the best you can, in whatever you do.

- Let the Light of Christ shine through all you choose to do. Dig up old dreams and visions, and begin to walk in them with His help.

- As in the post above, let your simple efforts become big in God's Hands. Big opportunities hide in oppositions. Don't despise small beginnings.

10th- Sunday’s post:  Doubt vs. Faith 
Jean Oathout

10th- evening's post:  To God Be the Glory 
Heather Ricks

12th- Tuesday's post:  #108  Spiritual Dependency 
C. Peter Wagner

14th- Thursday's post:  #109  Emotional Dependency 
C. Peter Wagner

A popular post:  Do We Know What God's Up To?  
Outrageous Grace was written by missionary Grace Fabian In this book, Grace quoted the following from pgs 39-40 of Elizabeth Elliot in Worldwide Challenge. January 1978: “In almost anything I offer to Christ, my reaction would be,‘what is the good of that?’ "




AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!

Kindle $2.99 

Bridal Shower Devotional: Bridal
Wisdom for Women

My book in paperback $7.95
(Check out the Reviews on the
Kindle page of my book)

Wisdom for Brides (Christian Marriage, Counseling, 
& Help) (Volume 1)



No comments:

Post a Comment