Tuesday, August 26, 2014

God's Intended Purposes


April Estes shares with us: Two
months ago I cheated.

I had jumped back on the Eat Right bandwagon after Thanksgiving, but just 
two weeks in I couldn’t take it anymore. 

Despite the fact I was eating "right", my flesh still wanted sugar. 


A few days later I was driving when I heard a preacher on the 

radio say,

  "Good things sometimes cross over into sin when we 

   begin using them for purposes God never intended."

The question rang in my head, What is God’s purpose for food?


The answer was instant: To sustain and promote growth and good health


My next thought was convicting: The things I WANT to eat do not promote good health. 


Having an occasional dessert is not a sin, but eating a diet of fatty foods definitely is not using food for God’s original purpose. 


I realized my lack of joy was not what was going into my mouth, but what my mind was thinking. I needed a new mindset.


"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. THEN you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2 NIV.


Romans reminds us not to conform to what the world insists of us, but to be different. Strong in what God wants for us. 


Applicably speaking, I was being called to put down the ho-hos and grab a salad (April Estes version). 


The way I was thinking had to change. I had to renew the way I was looking at food . . . not through fleshly eyes, but through godly eyes.




So now, before every meal, 
I say to myself: This is a chance for 
me to get foods in my system that are going to make me strong, 
smarter, fight cancer, etc.

I started focusing on the BENEFITS of the healthy eating, instead of the NEGATIVES. 


My new mindset made eating the healthy foods seem like a blessing. It made me focus on the joys of healthy eating. 


Over time, I was even able to not only not miss the bad foods, but also see that eating healthy was reaping good things in my life.


Look at the things in your life and ask if you are using them for the purposes God intended? It might open your eyes, as well as shrink your waistline.


(Google images and emphasis added)

God’s Intended Purposes - April Estes


April Estes lives in Knoxville, TN, with her hubby and four children. When not running the kids around, she enjoys writing, scrapbooking, and paddle boarding.





Let’s pray: 

   Father, am I taking time to consider what Your take is on my eating habits?
   Help me consider the reasons why I should be concerned as to what is best for me to eat.
   I can see that I'll need to re-think why I eat what I do, and to allow You to show me a better way of addressing my thinking about it.
   I want to have a healthy body that speaks of good habits. It won't be easy to adjust my thinking, but when I do think Your thoughts, I know I'll be happier with myself.
   I ask for Your enablement in this matter. In Jesus' name, amen.

Today’s Bible verse:  Ps. 17:5 "Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not."

Today’s quote:  Max Lucado - “I choose gentleness… Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle. If I raise my voice may it be only in praise. If I clench my fist, may it be only in prayer. If I make a demand, may it be only of myself.”

Some thoughts today: The very thing that has hindered you, God wants to use that to make you a "new" person. He is with you.

- If you have been called out of darkness, you have a call on your life.

- God has given you the mind of Christ so you can be used by Him to help folks accept His love.


28th- Thursday's post:  Visibility Zero
Andrea Merrell

30th- Saturday's post:  What's in it For You?
Jean Oathout

31st- Sunday's post:  Christian Benefits
Jean Oathout

9/2 Tuesday's post:  Longing For Thee
James Cagle


A popular post: How to Stay Young   Mary Southerland shares these suggestions with us today: "1. Throw out non-essential numbers such as your age, weight and height. 2. Keep only cheerful friends..."





AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!


Bridal Shower Devotional: Bridal
Wisdom for Women Kindle $2.99

My book in paperback $7.96

Wisdom for Brides (Christian Marriage,
Counseling, & Help) 

1 comment: