Saturday, April 15, 2017

Hope in the Strangest Places

Ron Hutchcraft- I've spent a fair amount of time in graveyards. 
Looking for some missing "leaves" on our family tree. 
   There's even a "find a grave" website. Run by some folks who've obviously spent a lot more time in cemeteries than I have! 
   And I actually found a lot of ancestors' graves. Which filled in a lot of genealogy blanks. graveyard's a logical place to go looking for history. (Ron's picture)
   It's a strange place to go looking for hope. 
   But it turns out that the epicenter of hope for the human soul 
is actually in a graveyard. Where there's an empty tomb.
   A borrowed grave - where a man crucified by Roman executioners was hastily buried. A tomb sealed with a massive stone by order of the Roman governor. 
   He issued what turned out to be one of history's most ludicrous orders - "Make it as secure as you can."
   That was Mission Impossible.
   Because the brutalized man behind the stone was Jesus of 
Nazareth. The Christ. The Son of the Most High God.
   Who, as the dawn banished the night that Sunday morning, 
walked out of His grave. Vanquishing what has stopped every human who's ever lived - death. Validating His most audacious claim: "I am the way, the truth and the life" (John 14:6).
   This Easter I will stand by another grave. A new grave. Where I could say as my wife's casket was lowered, "See you soon, baby." "Soon" - as reckoned on an eternity calendar.
   This is not some solace-seeking "she's in a better place"
sentiment. No, this is the certain reality the Bible describes
this way: "He has given us new birth into a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead"

(1 Peter 1:3).
   "A living hope." Hope is not an "it." Hope is a "He"!
   When this Jesus says, "I am the resurrection and the life; he
who believes in Me will live, even though he dies"
 (John 11:25)  
- it's guaranteed by the event that changed everything.
   Jesus crushed death.
   And since He conquered death, then whatever's bigger 
than I am, He is bigger than it is! His resurrection makes impossibles possible. Undoables doable. Unbearables bearable. Hope for "hopeless" begins at that empty tomb.
   Our hope of heaven is clear now. The only One who can give eternal life is the only One who proved He's got it. And the Bible describes eternal life as "the gift of God." A gift - as in received, not earned. A gift - as in paid for by someone else.
   Jesus was that Someone else. Because I could not, in a hundred righteous lifetimes, pay the death penalty my sin requires.
   Whenever Jesus prayed, He called God "Father." Except when He was hanging on that cross, taking all the hell of all my sin. There He cried, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me?"
   Because, at that moment, the Son was cut off from the Father as He carried my sin. God turned His back on His Son so He would never have to turn His back on me.
   Then, on the third day, my crucified Jesus blew the doors off death! For me. For all who would put their trust in Him.
   For my Karen.   Because there was that Resurrection, there's going to be a reunion!
   Two graves. One in Jerusalem. One just down the road. Burials separated by 2,000 years. But my hope begins at the one and transforms the other.
   Jesus is gone from His grave. My baby is, as the Bible says, 
"absent from the body, at home with the Lord." Because Jesus is the Death-Crusher.
   So life no longer ends at a grave. It begins there.
Hope in the Strangest Places
by Ron Hutchcraft  Check out more blogs at Hutchcraft.com

Today's quote-

Amy Peterson"Jesus faced the agony of the garden without the comfort of a hand to hold. But because He bore that pain, we can be confident that God will never leave or forsake us (Heb. 13:5). Jesus suffered so that we will never have to experience separation from the love of God (Rom. 8:39). His companionship makes anything we endure more bearable." 

   "Father, thank You for bearing the pain and isolation of the Garden of Gethsemane and the cross for us. Thank You for giving us a way to live in communion with the Father.

Because of God's love, we are never truly alone."
(ODB 4/13/17)


God's bridge to His rest

Today's Bible verses-

(Ps. 138:7 a KJV) "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me."

(Ps. 139:7, 9-10 KJV) Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? (v.9) If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; (v.10) Even there shall thy hand lead me, and they right hand shall hold me."


Today's sermon spotlight-

The Days of Noah In case you missed it!)
Speaker: Eldon Wilson Listen
Location: CFC Potsdam

Today's question-

   Do you check over what you've texted or written in an email to look for mistakes, as well as to make sure you've said what you meant to?
   It is a good idea. Your readers will appreciate it too!

Upcoming posts-

#107 Carrying a Prayer Burden
18th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

#108 Gradually Deepening Prayer Concern
20th- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

God Knows
22nd- Saturday's post by Jean Oathout

#109 Prayer Burden Described
25th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel



 [Musical professionally guided and
presented by our home schoolers at the Madrid church in Madrid, NY!] Tickets





Jean's blog 
(Click to see snippets of recent posts)

Below, you have an opportunity to leave a comment.
Or email me at jowildflowers@gmail.com



31-day Devotional 
+Jean's testimony

[Maybe just choose a title each
day that interests you]

Sample verses from p. 82-

The Vision That

I had One Day

"The vision that I had one day;
The Lord stood by my side.
From childhood He would lead the way
And with me He'd abide.

And when a teen I prayed one night
For Christ to save my soul.
His Word would guide me to live right
So I would be made whole."

(Published by Lighthouse Publishing 
                            of the Carolinas. Used by permission).

 A great gift for someone who may need help 
to prepare for marriage, and for those in a
marriage, wanting some helpful advice.

1 comment:

  1. He is risen as He said. Alluliah! Because He lives, we live too!

    ReplyDelete