Tuesday, September 3, 2019

#1 The Search for Happiness


   Billy Graham: A French philosopher once said, "The whole world is on a mad quest for security and happiness."

   A former president of Harvard University observed, "The world is searching for a creed to believe and a song to sing." (Google image, Raised hands with questions)
   
   A Texas millionaire confided, "I thought money could buy happiness—I have been miserably disillusioned."

   A famous film star broke down: "I have money, beauty, glamour, and popularity. I should be the happiest woman in the world, but I am miserable. Why?"

   One of Britain's top social leaders said, "I have lost all desire to live, yet I have everything to live for. What is the matter?"

   The poet Amy Wilson Carmichael wrote:

The lonely, dreary road he trod.
"Enter into my joy," said God.
The sad ascetic shook his head,
"I've lost all taste for joy," he said.

   A man went to see a psychiatrist. He said, "Doctor, I am lonely, despondent, and miserable. Can you help me?" The psychiatrist suggested that he go to a circus and see a famous clown who was said to make even the most despondent laugh with merriment. His patient said, "I am that clown."

   A college senior said, 'I am twenty-three. I have lived through enough experiences to be old, and I am already fed up with life."

   A famous Grecian dancer of a generation ago once said, "I have never been alone but what my hands trembled, my eyes filled with tears, and my heart ached for a peace and happiness I have never found."

   One of the world's great statesmen said to me, "I am an old man. Life has lost all meaning. I am ready to take a fateful leap into the unknown. Young man, can you give me a ray of hope?" 

   The Christian, on the other hand, has a different perspective on the meaning of happiness. C.S. Lewis said, "Joy is the serious business of heaven." He added, "All His biddings are joys."

   Mother Teresa of Calcutta says, "True holiness consists of doing the will of God with a smile."

  Jesus declared, "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly (John 10:10). Or again He stated. "These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full" (John 15:11). 

(Color emphasis mine. Chapter 1, pp.1-3)

By Billy Graham
Click on title to purchase

Copy right 2011 by Billy Graham
Used by permission of
Thomas Nelson

Our prayer in light of Labor Day yesterday:


Jason Yates-




Father, "we’re grateful for your finished work, Lord Jesus—for your labor of love offered for us once and for all. Everything
changed when you cried out from the cross, “It is finished!” We praise you for the once-and-for-all-ness of your redeeming work on our behalf. As our substitute in life, you worked hard to do what we could never do for ourselves—you fulfilled all the demands of the law for us. And as our substitute in death, you accepted the just and holy consequences of our failure to keep God’s law. We worship
and adore you! In Jesus name, amen."
(Jason Yatesinfo@myfaithvotes.org)


Let's pray-

   Father, it's true that the whole world is on a mad quest for security and happiness. Many who have everything that money can buy are miserable and wonder, Why?
   The Christian, on the other hand, has a different perspective on the meaning of happiness. C. S. Lewis said, "Joy is the serious business of heaven." 
   Others have said that true holiness is doing the will of God with a heart of gratitude.
   Jesus said that He came to bring us life, and that we would have it more abundantly, that our joy might remain in us, and that our joy might be full!                
   We come to You, Father, for this Life Jesus offers, that we, too, may taste and see that the Life He offers us is good. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen

Today's Bible verses-           


Matthew 5:3 (AMP) "Blessed (happy) to be envied,
and spiritually prosperous—with life-joy and
satisfaction in God's favor and salvation, regardless
of their outward conditions) are the poor in spirit . . ."

Colossians 4:5-6 “Be wise in the way you act toward 

outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your

conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt,
so that you may know how to answer everyone.”

Ephesians 4:31-32 tells us, “Get rid of all bitterness, 
rage, and anger, brawling and slander, along with 
every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to 
one another, forgiving each other, just as Christ 
forgave you.”

Today's quote-

~ Oswald Chambers- What was the joy that Jesus had? Joy should not be confused with happiness. In fact, it is an insult to Jesus Christ to use the word happiness in connection with Him. The joy of Jesus was His absolute self-surrender and self-sacrifice to His Father— the joy of doing that which the Father sent Him to do— “…who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross…” (Hebrews 12:2). “I delight to do Your will, O my God…” (Psalm 40:8). Jesus prayed that our joy might continue fulfilling itself until it becomes the same joy as His. Have I allowed Jesus Christ to introduce His joy to me? From My Utmost for His Highest Updated Edition

Today's special post of interest-

The Wringer and the Winepress


   

Susan Ellis- I went home and cried daily.

I missed my old manager who said I was a blessing to her. Since she had left, the new manager seemed to put a target on my back. 
I prayed and asked God for deliverance. 
I told Him I was going into the VP’s office and complain or just walk out: fight or flight. But I heard God say, “There’s another option.”
I froze and asked, ”What?”
He said, Wait on Me to work in this. Be still and know I am God. I am sovereign over every situation and always with you. I am your shield, strong tower, and refuge. For this light affliction, there is a greater weight of glory. Can you hang on for that and another transformation of your mind and soul?. . ” (color emphasis, Jean's)

Words of wisdom-

~ Faith points us away from ourselves, it points us towards God.
If God's telling you that you can do something, step out in faith that He will enable you.

Today's sermon spotlight-
JULY 14, 2019

The Story of Joseph

Speaker: Andrew Eastmond 
SeriesMisc Topic: CFC Potsdam

Upcoming posts-

     
#2 Searching for Happiness in the Wrong Places
5th-Thursday's post by Billy Graham

           Is Pain Punishment?
7th- Saturday's post by Merlin Carothers

      #3 God Has the Answer

10th- Tuesday's post by Billy Graham

      #4 The Three Things We Search For
12th-Thursday's post by Billy Graham

Many flowering shrubs bear foliage with the distinctive palmate shape of a maple leaf.
Red maple leaf




     









2 comments: