Saturday, December 14, 2019

The Fear of God


   Jean Oathout: Let's investigate what the fear of God means. "The book of Proverbs stresses honoring God in whatever we do. 

    One phrase that parallels this sentiment 
is "fear of the LORD" (16:6), which speaks of profound reverence and respect for God.

   Such awe, honor, and deference should be reserved uniquely for Him as Creator, Sustainer, Redeemer, and Lord over all. The personal and corporate value of possessing this essential quality is noted throughout the Proverbs. (Google image, The FEAR of the LORD, this is an excellent article, and very informative reading on this subject!)

   The fear of the Lord is foundational for wise living (Prov. 1:7; 9:10); it's something that can be chosen (1:29); possessing it prolongs one's life (10:27); and its value is greater than material wealth (15:16).

   Those who are guided by the fear of the Lord protect themselves from evil (16:6; 19:23) and have everything they need (10:3).(Found in the devotional, Our Daily Bread (9/13/19 from the "Insight" for "Whatever We do", by Arthur Jackson

Ps. 147:11 "The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy."

Ps. 56:4 "In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me."

Ps. 34:9, 10 (NKJV) "Oh, fear the LORD, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him. (v. 10) The young lions lack and suffer hunger; But those who seek the LORD shall not lack any good thing."


Let's pray-

  "Father, You are leading me on paths I do not know, past all my fantasies, hopes, doubts and fear. When I go through deep waters and great trouble, You will be with me. When I go through rivers of difficulty, I will not drown! When I walk through the fire of oppression, I will not be burned up–the flames will not consume me. Even though I walk through the shadow of death I will fear no evil. You lead me in the paths of righteousness for Your name’s sake. In the name of Jesus I will rejoice in You and be glad. Amen.
Isaiah 43:2; Psalm 23" 


146 - 150 of 200 one-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more this week-  

146- Rom. 6:14 "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under law, but under grace."

147- 1 John 5:5 "Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"
148- Ps. 18:1 "I will love thee, O LORD, my strength."
149- Ps. 150:6 "Let everything that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD."
150- Phil. 2:13 "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and do of his good pleasure."

Today's quotes-  


~ Darren Canning- "To worry is to live in fear and fear is the opposite of faith.  To have faith is to trust God. It is to believe that He will take care of us despite what we are living.  When we worry we are not focusing on the unlimited power of God to take care of us." 

Darren Canning Ministries via gmail.mcsv.net 





 ~ Jane Ault- 
What about you? What or whom are you focusing on today? 
How satisfied do you feel?

 I am doing just one thing,
 One thing at a time;
 It’s the task that God gives me,
 As I listen to Him.
  
 In the morning, I remember
 To seek consultation;
 I need grace and wisdom
 Because  I’m  His creation.
  
 I am doing just one thing,
 One thing at a time;
 It’s the task that God gives me,
 As I listen to Him.
  
 I return every hour;
 He reviews my direction
 And shows me quite clearly
 The next best selection
  
 I am doing just one thing,
 One thing at a time;
 It’s the task that God gives me,
 As I listen to Him.
  
 In the evening, I ask Him
 To help me review
 The things that I’ve done—
 Have I followed through?
  
 Have I done just one thing?
 One thing at a time?
 Was it the task God gave me?
 Or was it just mine?
  
 I, imperfectly stick to 
 One thing at a time
 God gently corrects me
 When I’m out-of-line
  
 I am doing just one thing,
 One thing at a time;
 It’s the task that God gives me,
 As I listen to Him.  
 Nov 2, 2019
 Jane Ault 
Words of wisdom-
God's reality is eternal and unchanging. We're to bring our moments to Him so He can fill them with vibrant joy. Now, we are to rejoice in His Presence.

The fact of the matter is, when we simply admit our inability to handle something, and we wait a moment, He'll show us what to do.


Today's guest post-


By Dori Oda- "I was both fascinated and in dread of the approaching storm, but curiosity won out, and I stayed in the sunroom keeping watch to the west. The glow of distant lightning erupted into brilliant streaks of pure energy as the storm neared. The thunder was the kind that rumbled through my bones and made the windows vibrate long and hard. God was speaking."


Today's sermon spotlight-

Joseph

[Characters of Christmas] Ben Levendusky at CFC Madrid.



List of recent sermons of CFC ministersCFC Potsdam NY church has a live service at 10 am Sunday's for shut-ins. If for some reason you can't make it to the church you usually attend, click on the above link, and still get fed!


Upcoming posts:  

   # 23 One In The Spirit
17th- Tuesday's post by Andrew Murray

   #24 Following Jesus' Example
19th- Thursday's post by Andrew Murray

       Consequences of Choices for Generations
21st- Saturday's post by Ron Hutchcraft

     #25 Working Together In Christ
24th- Tuesday's post by Andrew Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment