Monday, December 17, 2012

What? Me Worry?


Is there ever money to retire?

Barbara Duram shares that
"Sometimes I feel so old. I can’t believe I’ve been retired over five years.

 I remember contemplating retirement and wondering how much money I needed to live on.

My financial advisor told me to list everything I spent money on at the present…my monthly bills, groceries, housing expenses, entertainment expenses, etc.

As I listed the expenses, I prayed. The verdict showed, in retirement, I could live on 65% of what I lived on before. Quite a reduction, but I trusted God to provide for me as long as I trusted and believed in Him.

So I took the plunge and retired. Now I don’t spend as much money on clothes and gas because I’m not working. I don’t eat out at lunch. I’m really feeling good about this retirement thing. I always remember God’s promise in Jeremiah, especially the “plans to prosper you” part.

Within a year after my retirement, our church began a building program. I’d just retired. How could I afford to give to a building campaign in addition to my regular offering? 

I knew God wanted me to participate in this program, but where was the money coming from?

God spoke to my heart. Don’t worry, daughter, I know the plans I have for you.
But what if I run out of money before the end of the month? What then?
Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself, He whispered.

After a three-year commitment, God had surely kept His promise. I was able to give the amount I pledged and I didn’t run out of money one single time. I trusted God would care for me and our church, with God’s help, built a wonderful family life center that I was a part of.

God wasn’t finished yet. Our church started another campaign to continue to reduce debt from our new building. 

Another three-year commitment came, but this time I knew without question what God wanted me to do.

God proved He’d take care of me and I had no need to worry. He would be there just as He always is.

Trusting God isn’t always easy, but He carries me through the rough times. He has plans for me and I look forward to His next challenge.

Now I pray about my large and even some small financial decisions. I want to make sure I am following God’s will in this stage of my life… because I’m retired and I love it.

God never retires from us. Offer up your financial needs, then trust. He has big plans for you."

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
What? Me Worry? – Barbara Duramavatar



Barbara Duram is a retired Human Resources Assistant and grandmother.

She has served in various women’s fellowship positions at church including circle chairman and retreat chairman.
Read Barbara’s devotions.








Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

[Father, we ask for Your help , that our faith for the needs of our household, as well as the needs of others, will be amply met with Your grace and provision. May we realize that you are in control, and You really desire that we simply trust in Your ability to work things out for our good, and Your glory.]

Today's quote:  Charles Stanley: "What does Fasting accomplish? Fasting isn't a diet plan or a magic bullet to get God to do what you want. Nor is it for the purpose of seeking forgiveness. Jesus' shed blood is the sole source of atonement for sins. However, as part of the process of keeping our lives pure, fasting can plan a role in helping us recognize and repent of sin."  [In Touch Oct. 12 magazine, pg 8]    www.intouch.org

Our thought for today: If you believe God is God, declare that He is able to see His will be done in and for you.

Tomorrow’s post: Forgive Us, Father: Prayer Note #99 Dutch Sheets

Another popular post: TAKING A LEAP OF FAITH 
Samples of Jean's crafts 
Crafts order blank link

So You Plan to Marry a Man A devotional book for women contemplating marriage and looking for godly advice.

http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout 

No comments:

Post a Comment