Sunday, February 24, 2013

Crying Out to God



 

    David Roper shares with us, "After all these years, I still don't fully understand prayer.

   It's something of a mystery to me.

   But one thing I know: When we're in desperate need, prayer springs naturally from our lips and from the deepest level of our hearts.

  • When we're frightened out of our wits, 
  • when we're pushed beyond our limits, 
  • when we're pulled out of our comfort zones, 
  • when our well-being is challenged and endangered, 
  • we reflexively and involuntarily resort  to prayer. 
    'Help Lord!' is our natural cry.

    Author Eugene Peterson wrote:

     'The language of prayer is forged in the crucible of trouble. 

    When we can't help ourselves and call for help, when we don't like where we are and want out, when we don't like who we are and want a change, we use primal language, and this language becomes the root language of prayer.'

    Prayer begins in trouble, and it continues because we're always in trouble at some level. 

   It requires no special preparation, no precise vocabulary, no appropriate posture.

    It springs from us in the face of necessity and, in time, becomes our habitual response to every issue - good and bad - we face in this life Phil. 4:6.

    What a privilege it is to carry everything to God in prayer!"

"What a Friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer. -Scriven

God's help is only a prayer away."

Our Daily Bread
2/15/13   
 
Let’s pray:  Father, help me pray! I know I'm in need of learning how to pray effectively, so I ask for Your guidance. In Jesus' name, amen.


Our Scripture for encouragement:  John 14:26 (NASB)  "But the Helper, the Holy  Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."


Today’s quote:  Corrie ten Boom - The experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do."


Our thought for today:  Work out of knowing who you are, not in trying to find out.

Tomorrow’s post:  Lord I Want to Know You  GodVine message

A popular post:   But God! 

Praise  for  So You Plan to Marry a Man  by  Kylie Jones                  

“I can’t tell you enough how many changes I have recently seen in my husband and our marriage, since starting to read these poems and praying...along with taking some of the advice and quieting my mouth when I need to.” - Kylie J., Mother and housewife

A 31-day devotional book for
Women contemplating marriage
And looking for godly advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment