Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Taste and See



     Wendy Herrmann Smith shares with us her conversation:

"No, we’re not buying shoes for you today,'
I told my five-year-old daughter. 'We’re here to find your brother some hiking boots.'

I wasn’t in the market for the pink sandals that had caught Meg’s eye.

The salesman was showing me the features of the size eight boots when I caught Meg licking the soles of the sandals.

'Now we have to buy them,'
she whispered. 'They have my germs.'

In Meg’s mind, a pair of shoes fell into the same category as a lollipop.


If she licked it, no one else would want it.


I asked myself what I’d be willing to lick in order to have it. It set me to thinking about what I want most.

Learning about the Lord should be near the top of my list. I’ll be honest … it’s not the first thing that came to my mind.

Knowing God sounds like an entry in a dusty theology textbook. But what if someone asked you, 'Do you want to know Jesus?'

Not some vague idea of a Savior, but the real Jesus who can relate to your joys and pains. 
Jesus occasionally hit his thumb in the carpentry shop, and his family didn’t understand him.

He hugged the children and made up funny stories about a man with a plank of wood in his eye.

Once he was so tired even a storm on the sea couldn’t wake him.

The real Jesus wept when His friend died, and His personality was magnetic.

People followed Him everywhere. And He loved you so much, He died for you.

Christ wants us to taste His love, know the sweetness of a life with Him. He is good and kind, amazing and . . . well . . . yummy. So yummy, we should long for Him.

Jesus said anyone who has seen Him has seen God the Father.

If you want to know God, get to know Jesus.

Read your Bible, especially the biographies of Jesus –Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Meet Jesus there and remember that He’s the sharpest picture we have of God.

The next time you’re in a shoe store, try to avoid licking boots. Just remember the taste of God’s love is insatiable."

"Taste and see that the Lord is good . . ." Psalm 34:8

Taste and See – Wendy Herrmann Smith
February 17, '20
Wendy Herrmann Smith has been published in The Greenville (SC) News, The Associate Reformed Presbyterian Magazine, and by Stepping Stones, a ministry for couples facing infertility or pregnancy loss.

Wendy has one biological child and one child by adoption.

She blogs about adoption at adoptiongeometry.blogspot.com and about body image at beautybattlefield.blogspot.com.

Read Wendy’s devotions.

Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!

 www.christiandevotions.us

Prayer: “Dear Lord, before I go off into the battle today,
forgive me of my sin and lead me in the path You want me to 
go. I want to serve You. Empower me to live for You and Your will. Amen.

Purity in the heart produces power in the life.” 
Our Daily Bread
12/27/12 

Our Scripture: John 15:14 (NASB) "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all the things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you."

Today's quote:
Dr. Charles F. Stanley "In the coming weeks, I encourage you to think about your view of Jesus' resurrection. Prepare yourself to mark that event not just with nice clothes or church attendance, but with a life worthy of the price He paid using His own body and blood. You won't be able to do it on your own. Turn to Christ now. He alone has the power to help you die to self and truly live." [As seen in the March In Touch magazine]
Our Thought for today: What we think is normal, is not!

Tomorrow’s post:
 The Watchman Looks Ahead: Prayer Note #120 Dutch Sheets

A popular post: Hang On!

If you didn't watch this the other day, here's an opportunity to see it! Our God is way beyond our estimations of Him. You'll be "blown away" by this presentation, I promise . . .

How Great Is Our God - Louie Giglio
www.youtube.com

A talk on how good is our God by Louie Giglio

Samples of Jean's crafts
http://twitter.com/jeanoathout
http://facebook.com/jean.oathout






No comments:

Post a Comment