Friday, May 24, 2013

Good Eating





Good Eating
Good Eating

Eddie Jones shares with us, "In 1968 I bit into an Almond Joy bar and chomped through a worm.

I forget what type of worm. Brownish pink, if I recall. 

I was riding home on my red Schwinn Spider bicycle (with banana seat, high-rise handlebars, and sissy bar) from Thompson’s store.

I’d torn off a corner of the candy wrapper and taken my first bite when I glanced down and saw the remains of a worm wiggling amidst the coconut.

I woofed the mouthful of candy and worm guts onto the shoulder of the road, wheeled around, and returned to the store with the half-eaten candy bar. 

I got my money back, but it was a long time before I would eat another Almond Joy.

The Hebrew children had larvae-in-their-food problems too. 

"Some of them paid no attention to Moses; they kept part of it until morning, but it was full of maggots and began to smell." Exodus 16:20 NIV 

We pick up the maggot story in verse eleven: "The Lord said to Moses, “I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites. Tell them, ‘At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.'


v13 That evening quail came and covered the camp, and in the morning there was a layer of dew around the camp…the Israelites did as they were told; some gathered much, some little."

v 18 "And when they measured it…everyone had gathered just as much as they needed."

v20 "Then Moses said to them, 'No one is to keep any of it until morning.' However, some of them paid no attention to Moses"

Same thing can happen with God’s blessings sometimes too. 

If we’re not careful — if we try to horde His goodness for ourselves — the sweetness of His provision will rot and leave us with a bad taste in our mouth.

There is no 'getting ahead' with God. We can only get behind Him and follow. 

Nothing wrong with planning for the future, saving, investing, and building barns to store a bumper crop. 

But in the end, God warns that disease, blight, war, pestilence, and taxes can leave us impoverished.

Best thing to do is stay close on His heels and pick up only as many blessings as you can stomach in a sitting."

Good Eating – He Said  Eddie Jones


April 26, 2013
  
Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

Let’s pray:  Father, my desire is to obey You in everything I do. May I spend time before You to receive clear instructions as to the decisions I'll need to make, and then, follow through. Please help me become attentive to Your Voice. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Today’s Scripture if you are sick or in pain: Psalm 91

Today’s quote:  Doug Firebaugh, author and multi-level marketing expert, says, “Winning in life is more than just money…it’s about winning on the inside…and knowing that you have played the game of life with all you had…and then some.” If you want to be successful, you must prioritize building your inside ahead of your outside.”

Our thought for today: The opinions of others should not sway us. We’re to refer to Jesus and what He has told us. Be careful of being swayed by men’s traditions.
 
Tomorrow’s post: God Sent an Angel on my Darkest Day  Kristy








 
A popular post:  Still in God's Hands

    

No comments:

Post a Comment