Saturday, December 21, 2013

#47 Mediocre Prayer Habits?

C. Peter Wagner shares once again with us from his book, PRAYER SHIELD.

"When I say that my personal prayer habits are mediocre, at least I can say they are now better than they used to be.

I did not grow
up in a Christian home where church, Sunday School, prayer and the Bible were a normal part of life. 

It was after I left home that I was born again and became a committed Christian.

Some of my early Christian training came through InterVarsity Christian Fellowship where I learned that part of the expected behavior pattern of a Christian was to have a daily 'quiet time.'

They explained to me what it was and I began to do it.

Because I have always been able to exercise considerable self-discipline, I maintained a quiet time for years 'through sick and sin' as Mark Littleton would say.

Throughout seminary and my three terms on the mission field in Bolivia, I had a quiet time day in and day out.

Then at 40 years of age I went through amid-career change from a field missionary in Bolivia to a seminary professor in Pasadena, California.

It was probably also a mid-life crisis of sorts, although I am not much for self-administered psychoanalysis. 

But part of what I went through was one day, after being back in the United States for a couple of years, I decided to drop the quiet time.

It had become so dry and routine that I reasoned I would be better off without it. 

So for a number of years I just got up, had my breakfast, and went to work without blocking off any of the time for God I advocated so strongly in the last chapter.

Bad choice! 

As the next few years went by, I became more and more convinced and convicted that I was not better off without a regular prayer time...

I did not have the spiritual insight to realize I had fallen into the habit of doing a great deal in the flesh rather than in the Spirit.

I am sure it was the persistent gentle prodding of the Holy Spirit that began to bring me to my senses and realize I did need to go back to a regular daily time with God.


But knowing I was supposed to do it, and actually doing it were two different things.

I wanted to start something new, but I also did not want to fall back in the dry routine I had pushed myself through for years."

Today’s post -#47  Mediocre Prayer Habits?, in the series taken from C. Peter Wagner’s book, PRAYER SHIELDHow to intercede for pastors, Christian leaders and others on the spiritual frontlines.(pgs. 96,97) By Regal Books

Thursday’s post:  #48  The Reader's Digest Sermon  C. Peter Wagner

Let’s pray:

   Father, when we are determined to not take the time for prayer and reading Your Word, it is true You do speak to us about our failure in pursuing Your help for our day's activities.

   May we realize that our lack of quiet time with You and Your Word is detrimental to our Christian living.

   We are losing out on blessings that You have waiting for us each day. 

   Please forgive us and draw us into Your Presence anew each day, and may we find the strength and guidance to live a more successful life, and one that honors You.

   We ask these things in Jesus' Name. Amen

Today’s Bible verse:  Rom. 13:11 NIV ""And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed."

Today’s quotes: Michael Brooks Gospel of God has the power to turn people's lives around and give them a reason for being. The intrinsic power of the words is released by belief. Do you need some power to change? Read your Bible!”  www.ptl.org  


Andrea Merrell - "When Christmas is over, do we carry Jesus away in our hearts, allowing Him to fill our lives with His love, compassion, and power, or do we walk away and leave Him packed up in the manger?


This year, prepare a special place in your heart for the Christ of Christmas. He is no longer the babe in the manger. He is our risen savior—King of kings and Lord of lords. Celebrate Him, not only this Christmas, but every single day throughout the year. May He truly make his home in your hearts through faith.”

Some thoughts today: Something you may do may be a great mission. Without a Stephen, there wouldn't have been a Paul. Open your heart and be willing and obedient.

- As a Christian, your job description is: Soul Winner.

- What about your family? God will move on them. He'll send the "hound of heaven" on them.

Thursday's post: #48  The Reader's Digest Sermon  C. Peter Wagner

Saturday's post:  Real Love  Cindy Hess Kaper

Sunday's post:  Unloading Inspiration/Wounded Warrior Story  Adam Hunter

Tuesday's post: #49 Tarrying One Hour  C. Peter Wagner

A popular post: Prophesying to Bones and Breath: Prayer Note #108  Dutch Sheets tells us, "Ezekiel and the Valley of Dry Bones is another example of prophetic declaration." 

Some places actually look like this!

This post was accidentally posted early, but as some have checked in on it, I'll leave it...


AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!

Kindle $1.95


My book in paperback

1 comment:

  1. I have to constantly discipline my self to pray. Great article.

    ReplyDelete