Saturday, December 21, 2013

#48 The Reader's Digest Sermon

C. Peter Wagner speaks to us again from his book, PRAYER SHIELD, after he quit his daily prayer time: "My pastor, Paul Cedar, came to the rescue. 

One Sunday morning in the early 1980s, he told the congregation he was going to do something he had never done before and probably would not do again.

As a part of his morning message on prayer, he was going to read word- for- word an entire article from the Reader's Digest.

Sure enough, it was an article on spending time each day with God.

I am sure that many others among the 2,000 in the congregation were touched by the Reader's Digest sermon, but none more that I.

I knew God was speaking to me, but my chief worry was still how I was going to implement what I knew I had to do sooner or later.

At the end of the sermon,; Paul Cedar did an enormous favor for me.

Paul said, 'I know that some of you have not been having a regular quiet time, and my prayer is that you will start up this week.

I'm not going to ask for a show of hands, but I am going to ask that in your heart you make a promise to me as pastor.

I'm going to ask you to promise me you will give five minutes a day to God starting this week.'

Five minutes? I honestly do not know what I would have done if he had said 30 minutes or an hour, but I said in my heart, 'Pastor Paul, I can handle five minutes a day. You have my promise that I will do it!'


And I did. The next morning I spent five very special minutes with God.

The 5 soon became 10. Then 15.

The time kept increasing and increasing. Then it plateauedat about 22 minutes a day!

That was before I had done the survey mentioned in the last chapter,( #45 The Issue of Church Growth), and found that 22 minutes was the average.


The 22 minutes might not be much, but it is a whole lot better than zero."

Today’s post -#The Reader's Digest Sermon, in the series taken from C. Peter Wagner’s book, PRAYER SHIELD, How to intercede for pastors, Christian leaders and others on the spiritual frontlines.(pgs. 97, 98) By Regal Books



Let’s pray:

   Father, when it comes time to have our daily private prayer time, we ask for You to help us understand that it is very important to be diligent with it.

   There are times we are in a hurry, and neglect this meeting with You, to receive guidance for the day.

  And it is also true, that forgiveness is ours to receive, not only for failing to follow through with a commitment to be in our agreed place of prayer, but of our failure to make it a prominent activity of the day.

   So, we ask Your help, Father, to come to You each day at the time we've agreed on. We ask this, as we desire Your help and guidance for each day, and for all that takes place in our lives. 

   In the Name of Jesus we pray. Amen.

{Will you, my reader, commit to at least 5 minutes a day to start with? I hope so, as the Father waits for you...}

Today’s Bible verse: Ps. 102:1 "Hear my prayer, O LORD, and let my cry come unto thee."

Today’s quote: Donna Collins Tinsley – “Some Christmas holidays are painful. When the tears I have cried are stored in His bottle and I am drained, He becomes my Restorer, my Strength and my Hope. Got tears? Yes, we all do, but we will be amazed at the beauty of those glistening bottles waiting for us in heaven. Our tears will be there but our loved ones will be there as well. Trust that God has us close under His wing."

Some thoughts today: Words take you further then you know. Do not expect things to be "full-blown" tomorrow.Words take us through conflicts. Decisions we make in the hard times are opportunities to develop our relationship with God.

- We're to learn from our mistakes, and how to make right decisions.

- Always start from where you are, and make yourself a disciple of those who you respect, and who are willing and able to advise you in matters you are concerned about.

28th Saturday’s post:  Real Love  Cindy Hess Kaper

29th Sunday's post:  Unlocking Inspiration/Wounded Warrior Story  Adam Hunter

30th Tuesday's post:  #49  Tarrying One Hour  C. Peter Wagner

1/2nd Thursday's post:  #50  Discovering Intercession  C. Peter Wagner

A popular post:  Be On the Alert: Prayer Note # 113  Dutch Sheets shares this with us today: "The Bible talks about watching- in various ways and for different reasons, not the least of which is watching in prayer." 

This post was accidentally posted early, but as some have already checked it out, I'll leave it...





AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!


Kindle $1.95


My book in paperback




1 comment: