Sunday, August 3, 2014

Tenderhearted


ID-10070513
Ginny Merritt - "I banged my coffee mug down on the kitchen counter, pressing my left hand on its moist rim, my right hand on the cold enamel surface of the drain board. 

Tears welled in my eyes. Words spoken at breakfast to my husband had been as hard and jarring as the sound of my stoneware cup striking the counter. 

I allowed anger from another strained relationship to spill over to him. I was sorry and I needed to apologize.

Pushing myself away from the sink, I walked across the red linoleum floor carrying my empty mug with me. 

Quietly, I stepped onto the living room carpet. He sat in his beige recliner with his Bible on his lap, eyes closed in prayer. He sensed my presence and opened his eyes.

Unsure of myself, I remained on the edge of the carpet. It was hard to get the words out. 

I took a breath and stared out the window while he waited.

'I’m sorry,' I offered. 

   'I shouldn't have let my words hurt you.'

He bent forward in his chair and smiled, lines wrinkled around his brown eyes.

Like so many times before, he was ready to forgive. 'It’s okay. I know you’re having a hard time.'

I nodded, releasing a deep breath. He picked up his blue mug, stood, and said, Let’s go fill our cups again.'

Ephesians tells us to 'be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ forgave you.' 

Saying “I’m sorry” is humbling and difficult, but it is the oil provided by the Holy Spirit to keep our relationships functioning.

Is there someone in your life, in your day, you have been harsh with? Now is a fine time to ask God’s help to restore the relationship. You will be glad you did it.

You might even want to carry your empty mug with you, ready for a friendly cup of fresh coffee.

Let kindness and compassion fill your cup."

"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ forgave you." Ephesians 4:32 (RSV)

Tenderhearted - Ginny Merritt

Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net and Grant Cochrane.

Ginny MerrittWhile Ginny Merritt is first a homemaker and pastor's wife, writing is woven into every facet of her life. 

She has been writing primarily to enrich her ministry for years through Bible studies, curriculum, and drama. 

Her early-reader chapter book, A Ram for Isaac, was published four years ago, and a children’s novel, The Window in the Wall, is coming out in November, both through Journeyforth, a division of BJU Press.




Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us 
and Ginny Merritt


Let’s pray:

   Father, when we find we
need one of those "humbling"
experiences, may we be quick
to heed Your prompting.

   Help us to not say words
that hurt someone, especially
those we love.

   Open my eyes to times that I'm apt to speak out of turn, and when I could hurt someone by what I'm thinking I should say.

   May I be slow to speak, and carefully choosing my words wisely each day.

   In the Name of Jesus I pray for help. Amen.

Today’s Bible verse: Lam. 3:40 "Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD."

Today’s quote: Our Daily Bread “One act of kindness may teach more about the love of God than many sermons.”

Some thoughts today: We're not to presume things will go smoothly and not experience problems. Follow and live for Christ through every situation.

- What you're going through may very well be a spiritual assault 
against your place in Christ.

- We miss opportunities to have fellowship with God, by not reading the Bible. We need to be stirred up! 

Praying together helps
days go more smoothly

5th- Tuesday's post:  #107  Avoid the Dangers 
C. Peter Wagner

7th- Thursday’s post:  #108  Spiritual Dependency 
C. Peter Wagner

9th- Saturday's post:  Behind the Song: In the Garden 
Diana Leagh Mathews

10th- Sunday's post:  Doubt vs. Faith 
Jean Oathout

A popular post: Under the Juniper Tree  Mary Southerland - “Elijah is a great example of a man in need of rest. One day he was the conquering hero, the next we find him sitting under a Juniper tree, wallowing in self-pity – and begging God to let him die. 


AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!


Kindle $2.99

Wisdom for Brides (Christian Marriage, 
Counseling, & Help) (Volume 1)

My book in paperback $7.95

No comments:

Post a Comment