Saturday, December 5, 2015

Of Geese and Difficult People



Randy Kilgore: "When we first moved into our present home, I enjoyed the beauty of the geese that nest nearby.

 I admired the way they cared for each other and the way they moved in straight lines in the water and in majestic V-formations in the air. 



It was also a joy to watch them raise their young.



Then the summer came, and I discovered some less beautiful truths about my feathered friends.

You see, geese love to eat grass, and they don't really care if it ruins the look of the lawn. 



Worse, what they leave behind makes a stroll across the yard a messy adventure.

I think of these geese when I'm dealing with difficult people. Sometimes I wish I could simply shoo them out of my life.

It's then that God usually reminds me that there is beauty in even the most difficult person if we can get close enough to discover it, and the pain they're giving out may be reflective of the pain they are feeling.

The apostle Paul says in Romans, "If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone" (12:18). So I ask God to help me be patient with the "hard side" of others. 

This doesn't always produce a happy outcome, but it is remarkable how often God redeems these relationships.

As we encounter difficult people, by God's grace we can see and love them through His eyes.

   By Your grace, Lord, help me to live peaceably with others. And help me to recognize when I'm the difficult person in other people's lives and need Your intervention. Give me the will and desire to change."


Peace can come if we respond with a gentle answer."
        Our Daily Bread   11/12/15

Today’s Bible verse: Is. 9:21 b "For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still."


Today’s quote: Randy Frazee - "There are few worse feelings than those that accompany seeing flashing lights in the rearview mirror. No one likes to get caught doing something wrong.

When it comes to speeding, the consequences are a ticket, a fine, and some embarrassment. When it comes to our relationship with God, a lot more is at stake.

When we violate God's standards for us, our human tendency is to hide, to try to talk our way out of it, to pretend it isn't a big deal. Each time we do this, we fall farther away from God and run the risk of forever being excluded from the perfect community he is building." (Taken from p. 117 of THE HEART OF THE STORY God's Masterful Design to Restore His People).


ATTRIBUTES OF GOD

  • Because God is spirit...I will seek intimate fellowship with Him.
  • Because God is all-powerful...He can help me with anything.
  • Because God is ever-present...He is always with me.
  • Because God knows everything...I will go to Him with all my questions and concerns.
  • Because God is sovereign...I will joyfully submit to His will.
  • Because God is holy...I will devote myself to Him in purity, worship and service.
  • Because God is absolute truth...I will believe what He says and live accordingly.
  • Because God is righteous...I will live by His standards.
  • Because God is just...He will treat me fairly.
  • Because God is love...He is unconditionally committed to my well-being. 
  • Because God is merciful...He forgives me of my sins when I sincerely confess them.
  • Because God is faithful...I will trust Him to always keep His promises.
  • Because God never changes...my future is secure and eternal.
Dr. William R. Bright

Some thoughts today: The important  part of worship is to understand the majesty of God. What is it that we worship? We've been wired to worship; we do worship something.

~  We will bow down to something. Our identifying that will 
explain the consequences we're experiencing. Our not worshipping God, the Almighty, will cause some drastic things to happen. As He is worthy of worship, and longs for it, He will reward us for putting Him first.

~ We are expected to call out to God, and to worship Him.
That is the plan He has for us as our Creator. We'll have many opportunities all week long throughout each day, to worship as an expression of our love for Him. Our "bowing down" acknowledges His reign in our lives.


6th- Sunday evening's post:  Be a Witness
Butch Dias
8th- Tuesday's post:#119  The Pitfall of No Covering
C. Peter Wagner
10th- Thursday's post:  #120  The Pitfall of Moving Out Alone      C. Peter Wagner
12th- Saturday's post:  6 Ways to Pray all Day
Rick Hamlin 


Today’s popular post:  Sandpaper People 
Mary Southerland shares with us, " I recently read the story of a young reporter who approached an older gentleman on his 100th birthday.

                  ‘I want to wish you a happy birthday, Sir. I have just one question for you. What would you say is your greatest accomplishment in life?’ the young reporter asked..."



Another popular post:   Dumb Goose! 
Wendy Dunham: "He was a dumb goose…a very dumb goose. There he stood at the edge of an expressway, waiting to cross. Didn’t he realize the maker of heaven and earth created him with the ability to fly?.."




1 comment: