Tuesday, March 12, 2019

#19 Scriptures I Read at Stated Seasons



Samuel Chadwick: There are scriptures that I read at stated seasons! One of my earliest attempts at real Bible study was to try to write out in order the doings and sayings of our Lord in the week of His Passion, and I go over those passages always in the Sacred Week!

   There are similar passages for Advent and other festivals of the Christian year! (Google image, Enjoy reading the Bible)


     The first thing I do with a new Bible is to mark the Passages in St. John in which our Lord makes His promise of the Paraclete, and those I read always between Easter and Pentecost, and then I find my inner chamber becomes my Lord's Upper room.

   There are three scriptures that I have read on fixed days of the week for more than forty years. Every Sunday morning I read the fifth chapter of Revelation, and every Sunday night the seventh chapter from verse 9.

   Why do I do this! Sunday is the great day of my week. I may preach on other days, but there is only one day in seven that is specially the Lord's Day.

   It is a day devoted to worship and the ministry of the Word. To me is given the responsibility of intercessor and prophet, teacher and evangelist. I have to represent Christ, preach Christ, plead for Christ.

  For all this I need the vision of Christ, and nowhere do I find the vision as He is there revealed in the midst of the Throne, in the midst of the redeemed, in the midst of the angels, and in the midst of creation.

   I can face the day when I have beheld His glory and said "Amen, Hallelujah" in His presence. At night I come back to the vision of His ultimate triumph and commit the day unto Him and rest my heart within the veil.

   On Monday morning I invariably read Isaiah 41 from verse 8. Monday morning is a difficult time for the prophet-evangelist. Sunday looks somber on Monday. A "blue Monday" Is the devil's chance, so I resolved at the beginning of my ministry that if I had to have a blue Monday I would have it in the middle of the week, and God gave me this scripture as a protection against the "blues."

   Perhaps you would like to know how He did it. It was in my first month out of college. I was in my own room on a Monday morning, wrapped in a robe, for I had a cold and the room was cold.

   It rained pitilessly all the morning. Just before noon a cab stopped at the door, and H. S. B. Yates, the minister of Leith, was announced. We had only met twice. When I asked how he was, he answered, "I am a worm and no man."

   He had the blue Monday so badly that he had taken a cab and come to see me for a change. His church had been crowded the night before for the first time, and Satan taunted and tormented him into sheer terror.

   I listened with amused amazement. I am not made that way. He asked me what I did when I felt myself a creeping, crawling, contemptible worm? I had just read the forty-first of Isiah, and I said, "Here is the very chapter for you. It is God's promise to a worm."

   We read it. We prayed through it, and he went away greatly comforted. Since then I have read it every Monday morning, and have found it a rare defense against depression, with the result that Monday has been one of my busiest and happiest days.

   I go also through other portions of the Bible as I have gone through these passages of Scripture.

   These are intimate words, but at any rate you do not wonder that to me the word of the Lord is precious. All the time I have tried to keep in mind the over-worked and toil-driven who have little or no space for an inner sanctuary.

   That is why I urge the Bible as the only necessary book for the devotional hour. For the same reason I advise that it be studied in short portions, lest prayer become secondary in the place consecrated to prayer.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
   THE PATH OF PRAYER
By Samuel Chadwick
              (Click on the title to buy)              
Used by the permission of
www.cliffcollege.ac.uk
(Emphasis added)

Let's pray-

   Father, we're encouraged to take the time to write out in order the doings and sayings of our Lord during the week of His Passion before His Crucifixion. It would be wise to do the same for similar passages for Advent and other festivals of the Christian faith.
   Our reading from Revelation 5 and 9, is a great way to remind us of Christ's revelation in the midst of the Throne, in the midst of the redeemed, in the midst of the angels, and in the midst of creation!
   Some find that reading Isaiah 41, starting with verse 8, keeps their Monday blues from taking place. [The 10th verse is what the Lord gave me after receiving Him as my Savior as a teen about 68 years ago!]
   For the over-worked and toil-driven folks who have little or no space for an inner sanctuary, it is advised that the Bible be studied in short portions, lest prayer become secondary in the place consecrated to prayer.
   May we soon learn to seek and apply Your Word to our times of prayer in such a way that we are greatly blessed and helped to be set for our day, and to be victorious in our living the Christian life.
   We pray this in Jesus' name, and for His and Your glory, Father. Amen.


Today's Bible verses-

    Rom. 12:2 (NIV) "Do not conform to the pattern of this
       world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. 
       Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s 
       will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."

        Psalm 50:15 NLT "Trust me in your times 
      of trouble, and I will rescue you, and you 
      will give me glory."         

       Lam. 3:25, 26 "The LORD is good unto them that 
       wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good
       that a man should both hope and quietly wait for 
       the salvation of the LORD."


Today's quote-

~ Dr. Francis J. Sizer- "Another change that took place inside me was how I now could hear God speaking to me very clearly in my spirit. I didn't hear an audible voice but rather I heard my own voice with a new certainty.
   I leaned to trust my instincts and discernment, which clearly had God's success written all over it, when, I chose to follow it. And when I didn't, I clearly had my share of failure and confusion."
(p. 36 of POWER ENCOUNTERS)


Today's guest post:   
Now What?

Nancy Demary: "When loving care is exhausted . . . What do you do when you see someone you love and care about heading down the wrong road?" 
1) ASK for guidance from the Lord. Hold on to what the Holy Spirit shows you in the midst of prayer and His Word . . . "
[Continue to read Nancy's thoughts that can be of help to you or someone you know.] (Photo Credit: Pixabay).


Today's next 5 posts of 100 things  Our God Is . . .

16. Jehovah
17. A Covenant Making God
18. The Everlasting Father
19. A Father of Lights
20. A Father of Mercies & God of All Comfort

Upcoming posts-

     #20 Praying in the Name
14th- Thursday's post by Samuel Chadwick

          Enjoying Wonderful Things
16th- Saturday's post by Merlin Carothers

     #21 In the Name of Our Lord Jesus Christ
19th- Tuesday's post by Samuel Chadwick

     #22 For the Sake of the Name
21st- Thursday's post by Samuel Chadwick


Pretty bird and pink buds



     








Jean's blog (Click to see snippets of the 7 recent posts)

No comments:

Post a Comment