Saturday, October 26, 2019

Jesus in Disguise


   James Banks- My son Geoff recently participated in a "homeless simulation." He spent three days and two nights living on the streets of his city, sleeping outside in below freezing temperatures. 

   Without food, money, or shelter, he relied on the kindness of strangers for his basic needs. On one of those days his only food was a sandwich, bought by a man who heard him asking for stale bread at a fast-food restaurant. (Google image, Homeless man)
   
   Geoff told me later it was one of the hardest things he'd ever done, yet it profoundly impacted his outlook on others. He spent the day after his "simulation" seeking out homeless people who had been kind to him during his time on the street, doing what he could to assist them in simple ways.

   They were surprised to discover he wasn't actually homeless and were grateful he cared enough to try to see life through their eyes.

   My son's experience calls to mind Jesus's words: "I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me . . . What ever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me" (Matt. 25:36-40).

   Whether we give a word of encouragement or a bag of groceries, God calls us to lovingly attend to the needs of others. Our kindness to others is kindness to Him.  (Our Daily Bread, 8/13/2019)

~ Julie Schwab- "Sometimes we too need to be encouraged in the Lord. This may come in the form of a talk with another believer, a worship song, or time in prayer and God's Word.

   Feeling exhausted? Give your burdens to God today and be refreshed! He will carry your load. 

   Loving God, help me to turn to You when I am worn out. Thank You that in You I find rest."  (Our Daily Bread, 8/18/19)


111 - 115 of 200 one-line Scriptures for those of you who want to learn some more this week- 

111. Ps. 8:9 "O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth."
112. Eph. 5:17 "Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is."
113. Is. 59:1 "Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy that it cannot hear."
114. Prov. 16:16 "How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!"
115. Ps. 100:3 "Know ye that the LORD he is God: we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture."

Today, I'll be working on # 237!
                                                         
Words of wisdom-

~ Our maturity is profoundly connected to what we give and the strength we provide for others.

Our fulfillment in life is accomplished only in God's way.

Today's guest posts-

Best Friend

Elizabeth Van Liere- Occasionally, someone hugs me and says, “You’re my best friend.” This suggests I have made them my best friend.
Through the years, I have lived in many cities in several different states. The first thing I did after settling in was to pray, “Help me find a new friend, God. Someone I can trust, do things with, talk to. Someone who comes in on the same beam as I. Most of all, Lord, I pray she will be a Christian friend.” 

20 of the Best Ways to Entertain Grandchildren

Lane Jordan Burday
   "If you are like me, getting to visit with our grandkids without their parents, all by ourselves, is the highlight of our week or even our year!
   But then, as you begin to think about that time and what you need to do to entertain them, you may want to panic."

List of recent sermons of CFC ministersCFC Potsdam NY church has a live service at 10 am Sunday's for shut-ins. If for some reason you can't make it to the church you usually attend, click on the above link, and still get fed!

Upcoming posts-

     #9 The Seal of the Spirit
29th- Tuesday's post by Andrew Murray

     #10 The Spirit's Transforming Power
31st- Thursday's post by Andrew Murray

        Passion For the Local Church
Nov. 1st- Saturday's post by Karen Friday

     #11 The Spirit of Wisdom
5th- Tuesday's post by Andrew Murray
  
Tupper Lake, NY



No comments:

Post a Comment