Monday, February 11, 2013

Automatic Assistance




Denise Loock tells of her experience: "Attempting to move a large box, I knocked a stack of boards down. 

When they hit my unprotected foot, my whole body reacted to the pain. 

At that moment, my body had just one unified thought: HELP! My brain forgot about what I’d been doing. 

My hands immediately reached out for some alternative support. 

My right leg automatically lifted the bruised, throbbing foot from the floor to relieve the pressure, and my left leg instinctively absorbed the extra weight. 

Even my vision went black for a few moments as my body responded to the injury.

I hobbled to the freezer, assembled a makeshift ice pack with some ice cubes and a plastic bag. Then I shuffled to a nearby recliner to prop my foot up for a while. 

Not one member of my physical body complained about the schedule adjustment. 

Every part of me focused on tending to the injured member.

All for one
Seasons of pain

The experience made me think about the body of Christ and its reaction to the injury of one of its members. 

Do we respond to another person with as much effort and concentration as I responded to my injured foot? 

Are we quick to adjust our schedules and offer assistance when someone is blindsided by tragedy or suffers the consequences of ignorance or foolishness?

Paul reminded the Corinthians that even though the body of Christ has many members, it should function as one unit—each member equally valuable and vital to the whole. 

Therefore, when one person suffers we should all seek to alleviate that suffering so that the whole body will soon be able to function again at full capacity.

My physical body is still recovering from my carelessness. My left leg and foot compensate for the weakness and pain that my right foot is experiencing. 

Eventually the workload will be evenly distributed again, but for a few weeks my right foot will need extra care and consideration.

When our brothers and sisters in Christ undergo a season of weakness and pain, God calls us to bear their workload with compassion and without complaint. 

Our reaction to their suffering should be as instinctive as my reaction to my injured foot was.

Who do you know that’s suffering today? How can you assist them?"

If one member suffers, all suffer together; and if one member is honored all rejoice together. 1 Cor. 12:26 ESV

Automatic Assistance – Denise Loock


Photo courtesy of freedigital.net and sippakorn.



Denise K. Loock is a freelance writer and the author of two books: Open Your Hymnal and Open Your Hymnal Again

She is also the founder of Dig Deeper Devotions, a website dedicated to encouraging and enabling Christians to dig deeper into God’s Words.

Read Denise’s devotions.




Receive a daily devotion on your Kindle!



Open Your Hymnal


Used by permission www.christiandevotions.us

My prayer today:  Father, my request is that You help me see and understand the needs of others around me, so I can serve them in some way. In Jesus' name, Amen

My personal prayer note:  God’s plan is to use us in the answering of our prayers. We’re His hands, mouths, and feet.  

Today’s quote:  Cindy Sproles Your gift may be as an encourager. It may be to send cards to those who need a boost, or to teach, or paint, or serve as a doctor or nurse." 

Your gift may simply be to stand at the front door of the church, extend your hand, and welcome others in. Regardless, we’re all called into service.” [1/04/13]

Our thought for today:  God will redeem your past for ministry.

Tomorrow’s post:   Stay Awake: Prayer Note #115  Dutch Sheets

A popular post:   Gospel for Asia   


A 31-day devotional book for
Women contemplating marriage
And looking for godly advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment