Saturday, December 14, 2013

An Occasion with a Lasting Impression


Jean Oathout shares with us, "When I think of an occasion that left a lasting impression, my thoughts return to when I was quite young.

I was encouraged to attend a local meeting for the young people in the area.

There seemed to be a happiness there that I hadn’t experienced anywhere before.

I went each week, and joined in with the singing. 

The Bible lessons were interesting and presented with flannel graph figures and scenery.

I enjoyed hearing about Jesus and His love for us.

I don’t remember how long that family was there, or how long they opened their home to the children, but it seemed they were gone in a short time.

I’ve often wondered where they went, and why.

As I am now in a church that offers good Bible teaching and joyous worship, I wonder whether those folks were too “spiritual” for that community, some 60+ years ago.

It’s a shame, if that’s the reason they left.

It appears to me there may have been some folks who didn’t agree with what those folks were teaching us, and gave them a hard time, until they just left.

I know this goes on today, but hopefully, there won’t be others who will give up so easily when confronted for their beliefs.

There are many folks who are hungry for God, and they’re looking for those who will stay in the God-given place of responsibility, and share with them the Truth God gives them.

When I take my turn teaching our church’s Junior Church, I am impressed with the realization that we teachers have a tremendous responsibility.

We are asked to give the children a story about Jesus, and to apply it in such a way that they understand His love for them.

May we teachers take this opportunity seriously, and understand that God holds us responsible for our prayer, preparation, and presentation of the material we have.

He will enable us to do our best, when we ask Him. We’re not to compare ourselves with someone else, but to do our very best for Him and the children.

We are actually making an enduring connection with them. I’ve had children give me hugs, and say that they were in my class.

No one knows, this side of heaven, what the results of our teaching may be. 

But we can be assured that the children appreciate our efforts to minister to them, and they won’t forget us, even though they may very well forget what we taught that day.

I say this, as I haven't forgotten the efforts of that family after 60+ years! 

I wonder if what they planted has been a key factor in placing a hunger in my spirit, which I've felt all these years, to learn more about God.

I've gone from church to church over the years, seeking more and more Truth.

The Lord faithfully led me in all of my searching, and hasn't failed to bring the Truth I needed for salvation, and the help to grow my faith and to trust in Him.

Let’s take
 every opportunity to teach children by the example of our lives, words, and service. 

There’s nothing better than to impart God’s Truth into their young hearts.

An Occasion with a Lasting Impression  by Jean Oathout

Let’s pray:

   Father, we acknowledge our need to become more aware of the needs of those around us, whether children, or adults. 

   Open our eyes to the opportunities You give us to minister in one way or another. May we realize that our lives are making lasting impressions on others.

   Help us spend time with You in prayer for guidance, that we won't fail to follow Your leading. 

   It may be that someone has remembered our efforts to teach them, and they are grateful for it. 

   May they become better people because of our influence in their lives. We ask this in Jesus' Name, amen.

Michelle Trostie shares with us some of her thoughts:

   "The smell of fresh pine filling our home.  The glow of the lit tree in a dark room.  The manger scene carefully placed in full view.  The squeals of delight from our nieces.  The knowledge that God, who is greater than I can imagine, sent His only Son to earth so I might be reunited with Him.   These are just a few of the things that make the Christmas season magical to me."

   Watch for Wondering About Rain by Michelle, coming soon to Amazon. Her books are for children. Be sure to check Marsha Hubler's post, introducing Michelle:


Today’s Writers’ Tip: Meet the Author

by Marsha Hubler


Today’s Bible verse: Ps. 10:17 "Lord, thou hast heard the desire of the humble; thou wilt prepare their heart; thou wilt cause thine ear to hear."

Today’s quote: Kae Harper Childs – “Proverbs tells us when we take the time to raise our children in the ways they should be reared, they will not depart. Even though they may step away, embedded deep in their hearts are the ways of God and the constant reminder He is present.”

Some thoughts today: A saint (born-again Christian) is a divine masterpiece.

- Jesus sees our sin problems through His Blood. He addresses them lovingly. He deals with us where we are. He gave His life to cleans us from sin, remember?

- Pray that the Lord will give you a new depth in His Word. Ask Him to help you read and understand what you're reading. He will, as He desires to cause His Word to come Alive for you.
Sunday’s post:  When We Cry Out to God  Dr. Charles Stanley

Tuesday's post:  #45  The Issue of Church Growth  C. Peter Wagner

Thursday's post:  #46  The Issue of Personal Ministry  C. Peter Wagner

Saturday's post:  Christmas...It's About the Cross  Sandy Kirby Quandt 

A popular post:   Treasure Book  Cathy Baker asks us a good question..."What five items would you grab if your house was set ablaze? When asked this question, our Bible study group responded with a variety of answers but one item stood out among the rest—their Bibles. But why?"

Magnificent!



AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!




Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse 
Kindle $1.95 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1938499999/ 
My book in paperback

1 comment: