Sunday, May 25, 2014

Christ in the Storm

David McCasland shares with 
us: At the age of 27, Rembrandt 
painted the seascape, Christ in 
the Storm on  the Sea of Galilee, 
based on the Story in Mark 4.

With its distinctive contrast of light and shadow, Rembrandt's painting shows a small boat threatened with destruction in a furious storm.

As the disciples struggle against the wind and waves, Jesus is undisturbed.

The most unusual aspect, however, is the presence in the boat of a 13th disciple whom art experts say resembles Rembrandt himself.

Mark's gospel describes the disciples' vivid lesson about who Jesus is and what He can do.

While they were frantically trying to save 
a sinking boat, Jesus was asleep.

Didn't He care that they were all about to die? v. 38. After Jesus calmed the storm v.39, He asked the penetrating question, "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?" v.40.



Then they were even more afraid, 
exclaiming to each other, "Who can 
this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!" v. 41.

We could also put ourselves in this story and discover, just as Jesus' disciples did, that to each person who trusts in Jesus Christ, He reveals His presence, compassion, and control in every storm of life.   David McCasland

"Be still, my heart; for faithful is thy Lord,
And pure and true and tried His holy Word;
Through stormy flood which rageth as the sea,
His promises thy stepping-stones shall be."  Anon  

God is a safe dwelling place in life's storms. 

          Our Daily Bread  4/29/14

Please pray with me:

   Father, it is with thanksgiving, that I come to You today, for I see that You really are willing to help me in the midst of my storms.

   Once I understand my predicament, may I look to You for assistance in dealing with it.

   It can look overpowering at times, and I may think that all is lost, but help me remember that You're with me!

   My own problems are what You'll delight to help me walk through. May I be aware of Your presence at all times, dear Lord. In Your Holy Name, Jesus, I ask this. Amen.

Pray for your pastor: “Pray that your pastor will focus on the Word of God and walk in the fear of the Lord
—rather than fear of man—as he prepares his messages. Pray that he will seek to please God rather than men, and pursue holiness rather than the praise of men.”  Act 6:4; Prov. 19:23; 2 Tim 2:15; Heb. 11:6; 2 Tim. 4:1-2   www.lifeaction.org

(Google images added)

Today’s Bible verse: Ps. 91:2 "I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress; my God; in him will I trust."

Today’s quotes: Justus Martin - “Jesus looked into the people’s hearts that He met, to see their deep need. That is what He ministered to each time. When they were weary and fainting, He supplied food and rest. He healed, yes, but He took action to do something to minister to their inner needs.

Some thoughts today: The enemy doesn't want us to be successful. Don't focus on what he's doing. Ignore him! Focus on God, and what He's doing.

- If we minister in our own will, the Holy Spirit steps back. Pause, and let God direct you, and fill your mouth with His words for the situation. If you will, Christ will be praised, and you'll "fade away".

- We are only part of the plan, remember.

- The Kingdom of God sees things differently. There's more influence through love, than through authority.

27th- Tuesday’s post:  #87  Close Relationship with God  C. Peter Wagner

29th- Thursday's post:  #88  Receive Words from God  C. Peter Wagner

31st- Saturday's post:  Feelings vs. Truth  Kandy Wooter

June 1st- Sunday's post:  How Long?  James Cagle 

A popular post: Trusting God With Your Future  Mary Southerland  - "It sometimes feels as if the fog of doubt and fear of darkness will never lift from our lives. The promises of God seem to get swallowed up by the problems we face." 

Need help learning how to live a life of power and purpose? Check out Mary’s weekly online Bible Study, How to Become a Powerful Woman, and learn how to live a life of victory. Connect with Mary on her blog, or through email. 
Web site: www.marysoutherland.com 
Email: mary@marysoutherland.com




AuthorsDen.com
Where authors and readers come together!

Granny's Guide to Marriage 
in Verse  

Kindle $2.99 a review would be
appreciated.

Bridal Shower Devotional

Granny's Guide to Marriage in Verse 
My book in paperback $7.95

(Check out the Reviews on the
Kindle page of my book)

Wisdom for Brides (Christian
Marriage, Counseling, & Help)
(Volume 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment