Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Power of the Word of God: Part 2


R. A. Torrey continues with his thoughts on the Power of the Word of God:

God's Word Has Power to Produce Prevailing Faith. Not only saving faith comes through the Word of God, but prevailing faith in prayer does also.

Suppose I read Mark 11:24: "What things soever ye desire, when ye pray; believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them." 

I used to say, "The way to get anything I want is to believe I am going to get it." I would kneel down and pray and try to believe, but i did not get the things that I asked for.

I had no real faith. Real faith must have a warrant. before I can truly believe I am to receive what I ask, I must have a definite promise of God's Word, or a definite leading of the Holy Spirit, to rest my faith upon.

When we take First John 5:14-15, and say, "Father, this is the confidence I have in You that, if I ask anything according to Your will You hear me, and if I know that You hear me, I know that I have the petition that I have asked of You."

Then I rise up, standing upon this promise of God, and say, "it is mine." And it will be mine.

The only way to have a faith that prevails in prayer is to study your Bible, and know the promises, and lay them before God when you pray. George Mueller was one of the mightiest men of prayer. But he always prepared for prayer by studying the Word of God (John 15:7).

The faith that gets the victory over the world, the flesh, and the devil; the faith that wins mighty victories for God, is also through the Word. (see First John 5:4; Eph. 6:16; Heb. 11:33-34.)

I commenced to feed my faith on the Word of God, and as I have thus fed it, it has kept on growing from that day to this. So in every aspect we see that faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. 

If we are to have faith—and if we are to have power for God, we must have faith—we must feed steadily, largely, daily upon the Word of God.

[Taken from Herald of His Coming Newspaper, Vol. 75 No. 2 (890), front page, used by permission.]

(Google image and my emphasis added)

{To read Part 1, check The Power of the Word of God: Part 1}


Oh Lord, 

What scripture would you have read 
To draw my wayward soul to Thee 
To help me understand Your plan 
To save the woman and the man 

What scripture would You have me find 
To help this tempted soul unwind 
And give my heart in full release 
To gain Your perfect joyful peace 

What scripture would You have me see 
That shows Your plan to set me free 
From all the consequence and pain 
Of sins that I had once retained 

How can I hear Your Spirit's plea 
Unless I fall on bended knee 
And trust my burdened soul to Thee 
Through all that You would share with me 

For all the scriptures in Your Word 
Are there to point me heavenward 
If I will but prioritize 
And let Your Spirit cleanse my eyes 

Of all my self sufficiency 
That blinds my soul from seeing Thee 
Almighty God and great I Am 
Who bore the cross to save this man 

For of a truth if I could see 
The height and length and breadth of the 
Eternal presence of Thy throne 
Where on the Son of Man is known 

To represent a soul like me 
Bought by the Blood that sets men free 
From condemnation for my sin 
That caused the broken heart of Him 

Then I would surely be abased 
And crumble in my own disgrace 
To think of all the time I've been 
So selfishly consumed by sin 

And how I've built a wall of lies 
Establishing my compromise 
Of what Your Law has shown to me 
Of character that I must be 

If I should hope to walk the streets 
Of gold where all Your saints will meet 
Who chose to stand before all men 
As conquerors of self and sin 

Refusing here you compromise 
By placing that before their eyes 
That draws our hearts from studying 
The Word of Christ's great suffering 

For every precious soul that finds 
The Light of truth that heals the blind 
And brings the peace for which we seek 
And strengthens hearts that now are weak 

Will surely be a testament 
Of what the Lord had surely meant 
When He declared God's love for me 
By dying on dark Calvary 

John 3:16, 17; 1 John 3:16-24
Lee Forbes



(Used by permission)


Let's pray-


     Father, may we learn to pray according to what Your Word tells us is Your will.
    As we open the Bible, help us actually study what it says, and to have faith in its messages for us.
    Enable us to have faith that prevails over every situation that we'll face, and to have victory over the world, flesh and the Devil.
    I ask this in the precious, powerful name of Jesus. Amen.

Today’s Bible verses- 

(Job 7:18) "And that thou shouldest visit him every morning and try him every moment?"

(Prov. 8:17) "I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me."

Today’s quote-

"For Luther, the most powerful prayer is 'prayed with sobs and tears.' Because God is at the same time almighty and compassionate, he desires to hear supplications from his children. As Luther put it, 'The Lord is great and high, and therefore He wants great things to be sought from Him and is willing to bestow them so that His almighty power might be shown forth.' " (Taken from p. 68 of The Struggle of Prayer by Donald G. Bloesch) 


Our thought today-

In all "laying of hands", there is a common thread of God using people to minister to others.

Our question today-

If someone speaks a word that comes from God to you, what will be your reaction? Will you attempt to walk it out? 

Upcoming posts-

#35 You Must Prevail Over Satan
19th- Tuesday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

#36 You Must Prevail Before God
21st- Thursday's post by Dr. Wesley L. Duewel

The Power of the Word of God: Part 3
23rd- Saturday's post by R. A. Torrey

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You my God
24th- Sunday evening's post by Lee Forbes


A popular post-  


Kimberly Damon shares:

All my good ideas...

I've had some really good ideas
throughout the years.
I mean tons,
of really, really
good ideas..."









   

No comments:

Post a Comment